Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Single volume control for 5 TA2024's
Single volume control for 5 TA2024's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2015, 12:28 PM   #1
samvantoever is offline samvantoever
diyAudio Member

Default Single volume control for 5 TA2024's

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project where I'm using 5 TA2024 modules, there are 10 separate audio channels in total. The only thing I'm stuck with is the volume control, I can't seem to find an easy and cost-efficient solution for controlling the volume of all 10 channels with one knob. Does anyone has a solution?
Old 1st June 2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Arty is offline Arty
diyAudio Member

voltage controlled ampifiers.
there is no other solution i know about.
DIY Voltage-Controlled Amplifier | HackMe
Old 8th June 2015, 02:28 AM   #3
bentsnake is offline bentsnake
diyAudio Member

At first I agreed with Arty, but after much "there's gotta be a way" pondering, hold on a sec.

A "distribution board" is the opposite of a "mixer board." That is, there are as many outputs as needed (if you build your own), each with its own volume control, and a master volume control.

Having had this brainstorm I was designing a distribution board in my head when I looked on Google, and to my surprise there really is such a thing commercially.

But you'd have to clarify your needs. Especially, how many different inputs? Would each self-powered speaker (I suppose) be playing the same material, or different material?

OR if it's just one audio signal being fed to 5 different locations, and you don't need 5 volume controls, then all you need is what's called a distribution amplifier (actually a distribution preamp).

Last edited by bentsnake; 8th June 2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 8th June 2015, 07:17 AM   #4
gmphadte is offline gmphadte  India
diyAudio Member

If you do not have any solution, then go for the lightspeed attenuator

Gajanan Phadte
Old 8th June 2015, 10:14 AM   #5
arnyk is offline arnyk  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvantoever View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project where I'm using 5 TA2024 modules, there are 10 separate audio channels in total. The only thing I'm stuck with is the volume control, I can't seem to find an easy and cost-efficient solution for controlling the volume of all 10 channels with one knob. Does anyone has a solution?
There are a number of good chip volume controls that are used in AVRs, if 0.25 - 0.5 dB increments are acceptable. You may need to control them with a microprocessor - something like a Rasberry Pi.

Volume Controls

MUSES72320,MUSES72320V (18V Operation 2-Channel Electronic Volume) | MUSES Official Website

Electronic Volumes | Audio & Video ICs | Category Search | Semiconducter | New Japan Radio(New JRC)
Old 8th June 2015, 02:22 PM   #6
Arty is offline Arty
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentsnake View Post
At first I agreed with Arty, but after much "there's gotta be a way" pondering, hold on a sec.

A "distribution board" is the opposite of a "mixer board." That is, there are as many outputs as needed (if you build your own), each with its own volume control, and a master volume control.

Having had this brainstorm I was designing a distribution board in my head when I looked on Google, and to my surprise there really is such a thing commercially.

But you'd have to clarify your needs. Especially, how many different inputs? Would each self-powered speaker (I suppose) be playing the same material, or different material?

OR if it's just one audio signal being fed to 5 different locations, and you don't need 5 volume controls, then all you need is what's called a distribution amplifier (actually a distribution preamp).
he would like to controll the volume of 10 different channels with a single knob.
so a distribution amplifier is not going to cut it.
Old 9th June 2015, 02:01 AM   #7
bentsnake is offline bentsnake
diyAudio Member

Not a distribution amp, but a distribution board. Sure it could be just the ticket--though you might have to cascade them to a ridiculous degree, depending on both the board and the material.

Seems not to matter much in any case, since the OP apparently has moved on.
Old 9th June 2015, 06:42 AM   #8
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

A ganged potentiometer is what you need

Single volume control for 5 TA2024'sHide this!Advertise here!