Single volume control for 5 TA2024's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project where I'm using 5 TA2024 modules, there are 10 separate audio channels in total. The only thing I'm stuck with is the volume control, I can't seem to find an easy and cost-efficient solution for controlling the volume of all 10 channels with one knob. Does anyone has a solution?

At first I agreed with Arty, but after much "there's gotta be a way" pondering, hold on a sec.

A "distribution board" is the opposite of a "mixer board." That is, there are as many outputs as needed (if you build your own), each with its own volume control, and a master volume control.

Having had this brainstorm I was designing a distribution board in my head when I looked on Google, and to my surprise there really is such a thing commercially.

But you'd have to clarify your needs. Especially, how many different inputs? Would each self-powered speaker (I suppose) be playing the same material, or different material?

OR if it's just one audio signal being fed to 5 different locations, and you don't need 5 volume controls, then all you need is what's called a distribution amplifier (actually a distribution preamp).

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project where I'm using 5 TA2024 modules, there are 10 separate audio channels in total. The only thing I'm stuck with is the volume control, I can't seem to find an easy and cost-efficient solution for controlling the volume of all 10 channels with one knob. Does anyone has a solution?

There are a number of good chip volume controls that are used in AVRs, if 0.25 - 0.5 dB increments are acceptable. You may need to control them with a microprocessor - something like a Rasberry Pi.

Volume Controls

MUSES72320,MUSES72320V (18V Operation 2-Channel Electronic Volume) | MUSES Official Website

Electronic Volumes | Audio & Video ICs | Category Search | Semiconducter | New Japan Radio(New JRC)

At first I agreed with Arty, but after much "there's gotta be a way" pondering, hold on a sec.

A "distribution board" is the opposite of a "mixer board." That is, there are as many outputs as needed (if you build your own), each with its own volume control, and a master volume control.

Having had this brainstorm I was designing a distribution board in my head when I looked on Google, and to my surprise there really is such a thing commercially.

But you'd have to clarify your needs. Especially, how many different inputs? Would each self-powered speaker (I suppose) be playing the same material, or different material?

OR if it's just one audio signal being fed to 5 different locations, and you don't need 5 volume controls, then all you need is what's called a distribution amplifier (actually a distribution preamp).

he would like to controll the volume of 10 different channels with a single knob.
so a distribution amplifier is not going to cut it.

Not a distribution amp, but a distribution board. Sure it could be just the ticket--though you might have to cascade them to a ridiculous degree, depending on both the board and the material.

Seems not to matter much in any case, since the OP apparently has moved on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.