My take on a LM3886 layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I made my version of the LM3886 amplifier on a small 50x35mm board.

I was wondering if a groundplane for the signal part would be better than the current layout. If so, which components can be connected to this groundplane?

I have doubts about the chip pin 7, which now has a separate ground return.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• lm3886.JPG
    lm3886.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 1,603

Attachments

• lm3886_3.JPG
    lm3886_3.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 1,422
Nice! I like it. The Zobel resistor should be a power resistor, though.

You could have minimized the ground impedance a bit by rotating the supply caps and moving the Zobel closer to the IC, but what you have will likely provide the data sheet performance.

The way you joined the ground planes in Post #7 is the way you want the layout. It looks like that's where you landed on the final layout as well.

~Tom

Last edited:
Nice! I like it. The Zobel resistor should be a power resistor, though.

You could have minimized the ground impedance a bit by rotating the supply caps and moving the Zobel closer to the IC, but what you have will likely provide the data sheet performance.

The way you joined the ground planes in Post #7 is the way you want the layout. It looks like that's where you landed on the final layout as well.

~Tom

Hi, thanks for the reply.

You are right about the zobel resistor. I didn't have one available so for first test i used this 0.6W resistor. Joining the groundplanes is indeed almost the same as in post 7.

I have added a small circuit that acts as voltage regulator for the DC protection board. I can now use the V+ rails as powwersupply for the DC protection. First channel is operational and works great :)

Attachments

• DSC_0498.JPG
    DSC_0498.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 704
  • DSC_0499.JPG
    DSC_0499.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0500.JPG
    DSC_0500.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 443
Take off those plaited wires and replace with a twisted triplet.

There are too many single wires in your assembly.
Some must be Returns for other signal Flow wires.

Close couple all signal pairs.

example. The lower right PCB has a close coupled pair of grey wires = good.
It has a close coupled pair going off screen to the right = good. but they are separated as they get closer to the amplifier.
Thay must be close coupled for the majority of the route and laid out so that they become close coupled to the traces under the PCB where they have become single wires.
The two wires exiting to the left are a disaster !

Last edited:
Put all the boards in a chassis now.
I found a nice potted 25V-0-25V torodial transformer that I rescued from an old sony amp.

Amp is dead silent, no hum or buzz at all.

To the right I will put a channel selection with relais later. I have made a PCB for this in the past.

Attachments

• DSC_0521.jpg
    DSC_0521.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.