Modulus-86 build thread

My subjective opinion with the Mod86 V3 is that it simply sounds better than the Mod686 which I also own. Vocals sound more natural, there is more detail present. Not that the 686 is bad, but the 86 V3 is an improvement. Its comparable to the Folsom 7293 in my opinion when you gain match them. They are two of the best SS amps I have ever heard.

I have a relative who likes it enough that he is considering going with the 286 or 686.

Fantastic. Thanks for spreading the word. The chassis you used can be used with the Modulus-286 (and -186) as well.

I don't spend much time on this forum as I said - so I had no idea this was the first documented build. I saw there were 574 pages and I assumed there were dozens if not more already documented. Must be previous versions.

There are plenty of completed Modulus-86 in this thread. I thought yours was the first Rev. 3.0, but it turns out mkrawcz beat you to it: Post #5691.

Tom - one suggestion I would have if you ever make a revision on the chassis design - I would separate the binding posts a little more - they are very close together. I actually had a bit of a scare when I was breaking in the amp - I came downstairs and nothing was playing from the right channel. I checked and the weight of my speaker cable had rotated the spades enough that they were touching.

This is why I hate binding posts. It's a horrible connector. The banana plugs aren't much better. I suppose eventually residential hifi will grow up and use speakON connectors as the professional world has done for decades.

The only reason I provide binding posts is that those are expected on consumer gear. I have sold a couple of amps with speakON only, and the first question was always: "Can I get it with binding posts instead?" Market wants. I deliver. Even if I don't agree with it.

Are they not the industry standard of 3/4" to fit banana plugs?

They are indeed.

The case looks really nice. Is that a Takachi?

Yep.

Tom

Gorgeous chassis and very tidy build. Tom, as I’ve not been following your threads as scrupulously as before, did you post a link either here or on your commercial site detailing these? I must say it’s rather a slicker look than the Modushop chassis offered on your earlier limited kits, or on the DIY ACA.

I don't have the chassis listed on my website yet. I plan to do that in the not-too-distant future. They are indeed very nice, but also a bit pricey. They're $469/each. I have both black and "silver" (i.e., clear anodized aluminum) available.

The chassis measures roughly 300x300x90 mm. Give/take, free from memory, usual disclaimers apply. :)

I'm planning a couple of demo builds as well, so I'll have something for those who prefer to buy fully assembled.

Tom

I decided to play around and build another set of mod86 boards. I was curious if Vishay-Dale resistors would yield and improvement in sound quality, and they did. There is even more clarity. Not sure why, it could be that they are lower noise, or that they have no magnetic metals unlike the KOA Speers, or the fact that the values I ordered all measured almost perfectly.

Attachments

• Mo86_VishayResistors.jpg
    Mo86_VishayResistors.jpg
    969.1 KB · Views: 376
This weekend I plugged the amp in for the first time after all the testing. I'm using a little chinese source selector with a volume pod for now before I dive into the preamp project. It produces a little bit of noise, it sounds like a problem with the earth but it's very quiet and nothing you wouldn't expect from such a cheap device. Speakers are a pair of SB18 from a German DIY shop, all set up in a small living room. Source is a TV/PC and a Hifiberry dac.

I was a bit afraid that the 15mm aluminium side panel won't be sufficient as a heatsink but all weekend I never managed to get it warmer than around 40°C. At lower volumes it gets barely hand warm. Still browsing for suitable heatsink I can attach but for now it's not a problem at all.

Decribing the sound has always been a problem for me, all I can say about this amp for now is that it seems more precise, I believe I can hear more details.
I don't miss the tone control so far but the missing balance dial is a bit of a problem considering the slightly asymetric setup in my living room.

The bass on low volumes is definitely an improvement over the sound of my old NAD 3020e which I really love. Again, the word precision comes to mind, it seems a bit "sharper" or less "spongy", although I wouldn't have used the word spongy to describe my NAD.

On it's own it is totally silent, as far as I can still judge this. I haven't experienced total silence since the festival and rehearsal room days. The most important conclusion of the first weekend with the new amp was that it's more fun to listen to music and I spent much more time than usual listening to music on relatively low volumes.

So it's been a great experience to build this amp, the support was great all the way through. And Tom was exceptionally patient with all my questions. I can't wait to get started with the preamp.

Thanks Tom!

It's called the world-wide semiconductor shortage. Companies aren't able to make chips fast enough to meet demand. It's a major reason why new cars, video game consoles, PCs, laptops, etc., are in such short supply. There are a couple posts up higher in this thread with places to look, though by now I expect them to be cleaned out.

It's called the world-wide semiconductor shortage. Companies aren't able to make chips fast enough to meet demand. It's a major reason why new cars, video game consoles, PCs, laptops, etc., are in such short supply. There are a couple posts up higher in this thread with places to look, though by now I expect them to be cleaned out.
Parts Express recently sent me very wrong ICs when I ordered some 3886s, and when I notified them they discovered their whole stock was something else. I'm waiting to hear further from them. But that plus recent conversation here about dodgy 3886s doesn't make for optimism.

The world will recover. Keep an eye on the LM3886TF (not the /NOPB option) at TI. That tends to have stock for a little longer.

There's always WinSource: https://www.win-source.net and OEMs Trade: https://www.oemstrade.com. I believe both of these are considered "grey market" unlike eBay which would likely be characterized as black market.

Contact me if you get stuck. If you've bought your Modulus-86 or LM3886DR board recently, I can get you hooked up. My supply is very limited, though, so no promises.

Tom

Yes, thanks, I haven't been sleeping the last two years ;D
Ok, I'm sure that was well meant, so thanks for explanation.

However, the chip was available here and there a few days ago, nearly everywhere some weeks ago. That's why I unfortunately didn't watch out actually before placing the order from Tom.
Tom, thanks for your support and have a further question: I'm reading this thread for a while, but haven't seen anything about the LM3886T (without F). Is this one ok as well (available from one last source)?

Best regards

Stammheim

LM3886T/NOPB
LM3886TF/NOPB
LM3886TF

are all interchangeable in the Modulus-86. The -TF has an insulated package so all it requires is a thin coat of thermal grease. The LM3886T requires a thermal pad and a shoulder washer to prevent its metal back from shorting to the heat sink.

/NOPB means the leads are coated in lead-free solder. For the hobbyist this makes no difference, but it's important for those of us who have stuff assembled in lead-free facilities for RoHS compliance.

Tom