Modulus-86 build thread

With all the good pictures of builds I though I would share one of my recent ones.
kQ5g1mh.jpg

QAQrONn.jpg

uCpVhM9.jpg

VPiqSrT.jpg

I don't find any problem with having both 86 boards on one heatsink.

Advantages of dual mono were a surprise to me. I assumed that as the Neurochrome boards have such great PSRR (power supply rejection) that there wouldn't be much if any difference.
How wrong I was, far better width to the sound stage, initially tried in two different hi-end systems with the same result. Subsequently I modified my 286 build to include two smps with the same result of much greater sound stage width.

Yes go with the twin smps.

Smps, Do they need to be the same value as for dual. Mod86 (ie smps300rah) which seems a little overkill to me

It's not overkill. Recall that the SMPS300REh is 300 W "music power" (i.e. assuming a CF of 10 dB). It's really only a 120 W supply. That's just enough for a stereo Modulus-86.

If there was an SMPS200, it would be a good choice for a mono amp, but there isn't. And, honestly, any savings resulting from reducing the SMPS300 to SMPS200 would be minuscule, so don't expect Connex to come out with an SMPS200.

For a dual mono, you could go with the SMPS300RE (no 'h'). It's a bit weaker that the SMPS300REh in that it does not have the heat sink (hence its output diodes are more likely to blow on overload) but it is a bit cheaper.

Tom

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Here is an odd question,

Has anyone ever built a digital volt meter into a Modulus-86 amp?

I am interested in setting the amp output to 2.83 volts with a 60Hz signal for speaker sensitivity testing.

The other option is to just use an external voltmeter like I do now to set amp level before testing a speaker, but it would be neat to have it built in.

Last edited:
One could also build an RMS-to-DC converter. I used an LT (now ADI) device for this "back in the day". I think it was for an LDO noise measurement gizmo I built at TI/National. I think it was the LTC1966.

With an RMS-to-DC converter, you get an accurate readout of the RMS voltage on a DC voltmeter (which is cheap these days).

Tom

It's not overkill. Recall that the SMPS300REh is 300 W "music power" (i.e. assuming a CF of 10 dB). It's really only a 120 W supply. That's just enough for a stereo Modulus-86.

If there was an SMPS200, it would be a good choice for a mono amp, but there isn't. And, honestly, any savings resulting from reducing the SMPS300 to SMPS200 would be minuscule, so don't expect Connex to come out with an SMPS200.

For a dual mono, you could go with the SMPS300RE (no 'h'). It's a bit weaker that the SMPS300REh in that it does not have the heat sink (hence its output diodes are more likely to blow on overload) but it is a bit cheaper.

Tom

Ok, for the price difference I would rather stay on smps300reh (or rah) and have the heatsink or if I go the route double mono, I would use two smps300reh ( it adds 85e to the build)

The question is, does this extra 85e for a second smps300reh is worth it or not, I mean does it add an extra audible difference?

I read that double mono would open stage, separates better etc etc...

I was looking at Neutrik XLR connectors, and the ones which look the best for the purpose are:

NC3FD-L-B-1 - NC3FD-L-B-1 | Neutrik
NC3FD-L-BAG-1 - NC3FD-L-BAG-1 | Neutrik

NC3FD-LX-B - NC3FD-LX-B | Neutrik
NC3FD-LX-BAG - NC3FD-LX-BAG | Neutrik

B is gold, BAG is silver plated version.

Is there any point in going with the DLX series?
The DLX series features a compact all metal housing with an ingenious duplex ground contact, which offers excellent RF protection and shielding. It is the ideal match for mating with Neutrik's EMC XLR cable connector.

Also for line level connectors, which is better gold or silver plating?

Last edited:
My strong preference would be gold-plated connectors. Any of the Neutrik variations on the XLR would be good. I'd spend the extra buck or so for the DLX chassis versions and the corresponding XX cable versions for a bit more ruggedness, though likely not an issue in a home audio situation.