Modulus-86 build thread

Inductors! So many inductors... :)

These'll work with the Modulus-86 (Rev. 2.3 and beyond), Modulus-286, Modulus-686, and LM3886DR.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    971.2 KB · Views: 971
Joined 2017
Paid Member
I've been mulling over that, actually. All one has to do is to detect the input differential voltage of the LME49710. If that deviates significantly from zero, the amp is clipping. The trick is to do so reliably and cleanly. I'd probably also want to play a bit with the timing of the light itself to ensure that even a brief clip will be indicated.

Tom

Hi Tom,
I'd be interested in a clipping detector if you were to offer one.

And it appears to be my website. If it says "https://www.neurochrome.com" in the address bar, it is my website. You should also see a padlock symbol indicating that the site uses encrypted communication through SSL.

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.00.07.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.00.07.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 698
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.00.22.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.00.22.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
Wow! an army of inductors, set out to conquer hi-fi world?

Yeah. Pretty much. :)

nicely done, especially if hand made...

Thank you. They're not hand made - not by me anyway. I had them done professionally as I was getting really tired of winding them by hand. They're a bit expensive for what they are, but it is so nice to just put the inductor into the board, solder it, and be done.

Tom

Build update: assembly of boards completed, temporary heatsinks and power sorted, they're now playing.
Impressive.
Gain structure perfect for system with passive attenuators and 96dB/1W Klipsch Heresy mkI.
Initial thoughts? Taut bouncy bass that doesn't lose grip, fantastic separation between instruments, and channels.
Thank you Tom, work well done, very.
Time to sell some surplus gear and buy a nice case to put them in, along with the Power-86 that got populated today.
Edit for detail

Attachments

• Modulus-86_build_ IMG20180804165720.jpg
    Modulus-86_build_ IMG20180804165720.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Build update: assembly of boards completed, temporary heatsinks and power sorted, they're now playing.
Impressive.

Awesome! Nice work.

Initial thoughts? Taut bouncy bass that doesn't lose grip, fantastic separation between instruments, and channels.
Thank you Tom, work well done, very.

Great! I'm glad you like it. Thank you for sharing your initial thoughts.

Time to sell some surplus gear and buy a nice case to put them in, along with the Power-86 that got populated today.

The Modulus-86 has been known to have that effect on people. :)

Tom