Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Modulus-86  build thread
Modulus-86  build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2021, 10:52 PM   #5741
mkrawcz is offline mkrawcz  United States
diyAudio Member

My subjective opinion with the Mod86 V3 is that it simply sounds better than the Mod686 which I also own. Vocals sound more natural, there is more detail present. Not that the 686 is bad, but the 86 V3 is an improvement. Its comparable to the Folsom 7293 in my opinion when you gain match them. They are two of the best SS amps I have ever heard.
Old 24th November 2021, 01:34 AM   #5742
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic1050 View Post
I have a relative who likes it enough that he is considering going with the 286 or 686.
Fantastic. Thanks for spreading the word. The chassis you used can be used with the Modulus-286 (and -186) as well.

Quote:
I don't spend much time on this forum as I said - so I had no idea this was the first documented build. I saw there were 574 pages and I assumed there were dozens if not more already documented. Must be previous versions.
There are plenty of completed Modulus-86 in this thread. I thought yours was the first Rev. 3.0, but it turns out mkrawcz beat you to it: Post #5691.

Quote:
Tom - one suggestion I would have if you ever make a revision on the chassis design - I would separate the binding posts a little more - they are very close together. I actually had a bit of a scare when I was breaking in the amp - I came downstairs and nothing was playing from the right channel. I checked and the weight of my speaker cable had rotated the spades enough that they were touching.
This is why I hate binding posts. It's a horrible connector. The banana plugs aren't much better. I suppose eventually residential hifi will grow up and use speakON connectors as the professional world has done for decades.

The only reason I provide binding posts is that those are expected on consumer gear. I have sold a couple of amps with speakON only, and the first question was always: "Can I get it with binding posts instead?" Market wants. I deliver. Even if I don't agree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
Are they not the industry standard of 3/4" to fit banana plugs?
They are indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgtc View Post
The case looks really nice. Is that a Takachi?
Yep.

Tom
Old 24th November 2021, 06:56 PM   #5743
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Gorgeous chassis and very tidy build. Tom, as I’ve not been following your threads as scrupulously as before, did you post a link either here or on your commercial site detailing these? I must say it’s rather a slicker look than the Modushop chassis offered on your earlier limited kits, or on the DIY ACA.
Old 24th November 2021, 07:10 PM   #5744
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
Echo Chrisb's sentiments Tom - neat build and good looking chassis for the new Modulus-86 amp.

What are the dimensions of the Takachi chassis?
Old 25th November 2021, 05:26 AM   #5745
diyAudio Member

I don't have the chassis listed on my website yet. I plan to do that in the not-too-distant future. They are indeed very nice, but also a bit pricey. They're $469/each. I have both black and "silver" (i.e., clear anodized aluminum) available.

The chassis measures roughly 300x300x90 mm. Give/take, free from memory, usual disclaimers apply.

I'm planning a couple of demo builds as well, so I'll have something for those who prefer to buy fully assembled.

Tom
Old 27th November 2021, 07:05 PM   #5746
solderbynumbers is offline solderbynumbers
diyAudio Member

Hello Tom,

do you consider selling the rear panels individually? That would improve any diy enclosure a lot.

Thanks
Stefan
Old 27th November 2021, 07:20 PM   #5747
diyAudio Member

No. I can't buy them individually, so I can't sell them individually. It also wouldn't really make sense to sell the panels individually as they really only work with the rest of the chassis.

Tom

Modulus-86  build threadHide this!Advertise here!