Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Modulus-86  build thread
Modulus-86  build thread
Modulus-86  build thread Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2019, 05:17 PM   #4891
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
Adam1016,

Your amps are looking good - neat work! And nice tube gear.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:32 PM   #4892
zgtc is offline zgtc  Europe
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
super cool
Old 11th November 2019, 04:52 PM   #4893
adam1016 is offline adam1016  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are some more pictures, almost done with the power supply wiring on both amps, just waiting on some mogami 2549 for the RCA's and some speaker cable for the output. I'm thinking of routing the input/output from the amplifiers that aren't close to their respective jack (e.g. one amp's input is far away from the RCA, one amp's output is far away from the speakon) above and below the IEC inlet, I figure it's well shielded so should have minimal EMI, plus my cables are shielded.

Amp 1:
Click the image to open in full size.
Amp 1 -- Power wiring done:

Amp 2: In progress:

Some notes from along the way -- Heatshrinking the IEC socket terminals can be a bit of a pain in the butt with the relatively rigid wires coming from the transformer, make sure you line everything up perfectly before you solder.

Tightening the bottom plate too much tries to bend the heatsinks out, tighten this plate after lining the back and front panels up to keep the heatsinks parallel.

The holes in the baseplate are pretty sharp around the edges, I've seen other people drill them out and grommet them but I just decided to coat the wire in heat shrink where it goes through the holes to give it extra protection.
Old 12th November 2019, 05:17 AM   #4894
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice! Yeah... I generally prefer using grommets when wires go through metal panels. Nice build overall, though. You definitely earn bonus points for using the speakON connectors.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom
Old 12th November 2019, 03:50 PM   #4895
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I'll probably end up getting grommets once I finish the build, waiting until I need to order other things from McMaster
Old 17th November 2019, 11:40 PM   #4896
diyAudio Member

Finished one of the amps, still waiting on adhesive for the LED to put the finishing touches on it, listening right now though and I don't know if I'll want to unplug it for long enough to finish it :P Sound is incredible, miles better than the old Onkyo receiver who's place it's taking!
Old 28th November 2019, 04:22 PM   #4897
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Tom,

I got DAC with transformer output. I can do balacned(XLR) or do summing on output transfomer and do RCA output.
I also want to put volume inside the dac.
Then I want to connect it to modulus-86 amp.

Now,
I have two options:

1. DAC with balanced transformer output + balanced volume control -> XLR/XLR cable to -> modulus 86
I want to use something like this
ALPS 4 Channels Volume Potentiometer 10K 50K 100K LOG 6mm Shaft Hifi Audio DIY | eBay

2. DAC with summing done on transformer level on dac output + stereo volume control -> RCA/XLR pseudodifferential cable to -> modulus 86

Which option is better in your opinion?
I just affraid that in case of option 1, variation in resistance in balanced volume control will impact CMRR.

Thanks,

Last edited by TioFrancotirador; 28th November 2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 28th November 2019, 04:37 PM   #4898
misterdog is offline misterdog  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Several of us using this.

BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)

Between DAC with balanced transformer output and Tom's amps, with good results.

Quote:
- Linear potentiometer used as feedback element in an inverting amplifier, not as attenuator
Mine uses a cheap car stereo volume control.
Old 28th November 2019, 04:50 PM   #4899
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdog View Post
Several of us using this.

BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)

Between DAC with balanced transformer output and Tom's amps, with good results.

Mine uses a cheap car stereo volume control.
Thanks,
Actually, I normally use internal digital volume control of the dac like in ak4497 and es9038pro. I think it is best and most convenient.
This time I am building dual ad1865 dac and want to use something simple for balanced volume control (do not want to end up with another box).
However this is nice preamp concept, thanks!
Old 28th November 2019, 04:52 PM   #4900
zgtc is offline zgtc  Europe
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by TioFrancotirador View Post
Tom,

I got DAC with transformer output. I can do balacned(XLR) or do summing on output transfomer and do RCA output.
I also want to put volume inside the dac.
Then I want to connect it to modulus-86 amp.

Now,
I have two options:

1. DAC with balanced transformer output + balanced volume control -> XLR/XLR cable to -> modulus 86
I want to use something like this
ALPS 4 Channels Volume Potentiometer 10K 50K 100K LOG 6mm Shaft Hifi Audio DIY | eBay

2. DAC with summing done on transformer level on dac output + stereo volume control -> RCA/XLR pseudodifferential cable to -> modulus 86

Which option is better in your opinion?
I just affraid that in case of option 1, variation in resistance in balanced volume control will impact CMRR.

Thanks,
3. DAC with summing done on transformer level on dac output + stereo volume control -> SE to Balanced board (see universal buffer)-> XLR differential cable to -> modulus 86

Modulus-86  build threadHide this!Advertise here!