Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Modulus-86  build thread
Modulus-86  build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2019, 12:11 PM   #4851
Earl Grey is offline Earl Grey
diyAudio Member

I keep a file containing my notes from this thread compiled over the course of a glacially slow, ongoing stereo Mod-86 build, and I had saved a link to this discussion of mounting brackets waaaaaay upthread:

Modulus-86 build thread
Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM   #4852
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dang! That's a good find. I would probably put a mica washer between the bracket and the PCB, though. Alternatively, you could give the bracket a layer of Kapton tape and cut a hole in the tape for the mounting screw. I'm a little concerned that the edges of the bracket will eat through the solder mask over time.

The brackets should fit, though. One can always drill out the 4-40 threads...

Tom
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #4853
diyAudio Member

This thread has become such a monster that there are probably answers to many 'new' questions buried in it - but who has the time to go and read the whole thing at this point?!

Thanks for those extra notes - especially since that's probably the approach I had planned take myself.

What's your specific concern about the bracket eating through the mask on the Mod-86, Tom? I can see on one side it's all ground plane - so an unwanted 'extra' connection to chassis ground? I don't have the brackets to check but on the other side they might come perilously close to the output +ve trace which would probably be undesirable to connect to the chassis.

Obviously, adding a mica washer is inconsequential anyway, so just curiosity on my part.
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #4854
diyAudio Member

If you put the bracket on the bottom of the board, you're fine. As you point out, all you'll do if the solder mask wears through is to connect ground to chassis, which is usually inconsequential.

However, if you put the bracket on the top of the board, you could short VEE to chassis, which will result in fireworks. Now that I think more about it, mounting the bracket on top of the board would also make it really hard to access, so most would probably consider that a non-starter.

Tom
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM   #4855
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This thread has become such a monster that there are probably answers to many 'new' questions buried in it
Time to make a sort of index to find stuff more easily. Tom, tag you are it :-) I am sorry not like you need me to give you work :-)
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #4856
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
If you put the bracket on the bottom of the board, you're fine. As you point out, all you'll do if the solder mask wears through is to connect ground to chassis, which is usually inconsequential.

However, if you put the bracket on the top of the board, you could short VEE to chassis, which will result in fireworks. Now that I think more about it, mounting the bracket on top of the board would also make it really hard to access, so most would probably consider that a non-starter.

Tom
Thanks Tom! A washer or slice of kapton is NBD anyway but I like to understand the logic.
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #4857
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
Time to make a sort of index to find stuff more easily. Tom, tag you are it :-)
HA! Yeah... You want index? You make index...

Now, on a more serious note, many questions are certainly repeated. I could put together a FAQ page and add it as a tab on the Modulus-86 product page.

Tom
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #4858
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Tom, reading the full text of the currently relatively short list of FAQ Frequently Asked Questions – Neurochrome once again impresses me with your transparency and integrity - something to which more of us should aspire in all aspects of our lives.
Oh, and the amps sound pretty damned nice too - actually, I should say don’t sound, as compared to many of current small format amps employing class D output stages, of which I own several.

Modulus-86  build threadHide this!Advertise here!