Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Modulus-86  build thread
Modulus-86  build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2019, 04:42 PM   #4801
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
Mrshazbot,

Good to hear that you've got both channels running, and congratulations on your successful build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshazbot View Post
Too soon to say much about the amp other than it's dead quite and sounds super clean. I'll report back after giving it some good listening time.
The first impressions sound familiar. Tell us more once you have more hours of listening to the amplifier in your system.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:13 PM   #4802
pelayostyle is offline pelayostyle  United States
diyAudio Member

I finished my build yesterday and spent the day running music through it. Very impressive Tom! Like others have said, its dead quiet with no music playing and sounds fantastic. I'm the worst at describing how things sound but I'll try. Everything sounds so clean and effortless. I think this is as close as I've been to achieving the "wire with gain". My speakers are Klipsch RP-600M's (96dB sensitivity) so the amp has an easy job driving them.

I know that building it dual mono is totally overkill but it let's me sleep better at night. Pretty sure the SMPS is happier and will probably last longer with such an easy load. Thanks again Tom for your fantastic design. If anyone reading this is on the fence about building the Mod86, just do it! It's the best amplifier I've ever had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0793.jpg (306.4 KB, 400 views)
Old 11th September 2019, 06:29 PM   #4803
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
I'm glad you found the problem and that is was easily remedied. Enjoy listening.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:30 PM   #4804
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
pelayostyle,

Neat build you got there! And yes, the dual SMPS is overkill , nonetheless nicely done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelayostyle View Post
Everything sounds so clean and effortless.
Good description.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:23 AM   #4805
tomchr is online now tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Okay, I got it up and running.

Too soon to say much about the amp other than it's dead quite and sounds super clean. I'll report back after giving it some good listening time.
Fantastic! I'm glad you got it working and like it so far.

Tom
Old 12th September 2019, 05:00 PM   #4806
adam1016 is offline adam1016  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Okay, I got it up and running.

I followed Tom's instructions to pull out the op-amps and after doing that, the problem was gone. I then put them back in and removed them one by one to isolate which one it was. After figuring that out, I figured it had to something around the opamp. From the very beginning of the build, I told myself if I made any mistake, it would be that I put one of the blue capacitors in the wrong place. They are so tiny and hard to read and therefore would be the hardest to troubleshoot. I pulled out the magnifying glass and headlamp and started inspecting each one . C6 ended up being some random capacitor that didn't match anything else in the entire build. So I would like to think that Mouser just put the wrong one in the bag but the truth is that I probably made the mistake.

After replacing it, the amp fired up perfectly.

I used the 2U Dissapante and had them cut the holes on the rear panel. I created the CAD design which was a first for me and I didn't screw it up so was happy about that. I went with the larger chassis in case I ever wanted to add more channels in the future.
How was drilling the mounting holes in the riser plate/heatsinks? Building mine into a pair of 3u dissipantes, I know it's super overkill but I'm eventually going for a full LX521 build.
Old 12th September 2019, 05:12 PM   #4807
Mrshazbot is offline Mrshazbot  United States
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
It was really easy for me. I bought some cheap tool off amazon to drill the hole then tap the thread. So far its worked every time using M3 thread size however i question how durable this tool will be over the long run. Based on how often I need to use the tool, it works for me just fine.

Here is a picture of the exact tool I bought and the lube.
Attached Images
File Type: png Tap.PNG (55.0 KB, 354 views)
Old 13th September 2019, 02:19 AM   #4808
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

Mrshazbot,

So are you only supporting the amp board off the LM3886 chip?
Old 13th September 2019, 03:38 AM   #4809
Mrshazbot is offline Mrshazbot  United States
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
Yes but I will get it mounted properly since Tom’s comprehensive instructions specifically say not to hang by the chip
Old 13th September 2019, 04:36 PM   #4810
tomchr is online now tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeah. Dangling the board by the LM3886 will put undue stress on the LM3886 pins and solder joints resulting in premature failure.

Tom

Modulus-86  build threadHide this!Advertise here!