Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Modulus-86  build thread
Modulus-86  build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2018, 07:57 AM   #4471
Rich Truss is offline Rich Truss
diyAudio Member

I received 2 Mod-286 boards in the post today, lovely quality, nice job Tom. Will get them fired up in the coming week(s) and compare to my Mod-86 boards.
Old 31st December 2018, 01:25 PM   #4472
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Fantastic! It's good to hear that the new modules have started to arrive in people's hands. I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress. Perhaps we should resurrect the Modulus-286 Build Thread, though this thread certainly works too.

Tom
Old 1st January 2019, 10:42 PM   #4473
zgtc is offline zgtc  Europe
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post
I've long had the Mod86 on my "want to build" list. But I also used to have more amps than any sane person needs, so I couldn't justify having yet another amp. Note the emphasis on used to have... I boxed up four of my amps to have them measured by Amir at AudioScienceReview, and FedEx lost them. Completely lost, now I'm working on the claim process. We'll see how that goes.
So sorry to hear this Matt, I really hope you get some decent compensation.

Quote:
The silver lining is, I can no longer claim "too many amps" as my excuse for not building the Mod86. I've ordered all the parts except the case. I skimmed through this whole thread, looking at all the pics for chassis and layout inspiration. While doing that, I kept track of all the pics in this thread. Here's the list I came up with, I thought others might find this useful. Apologies for any omissions, typos, and/or bad links.
Thank you so much for taking the time to create the list. I went through it and there are some very nice builds.
Old 12th January 2019, 09:51 AM   #4474
MrKettle is online now MrKettle
diyAudio Member

Bit of a blast from the past, but I have picked up and remade a Parallel-86 amp. The original was in a slightly silly case with RCA inputs, this has been remade with XLRs as my World Designs Pre 3 has the option of wiring the outputs as balanced. As an aside from this, mini XLRs are horrible to use...
Click the image to open in full size.
The case is a 3U/400 and each channel has a 300VA transformer and a Ringnot board, as with heatsinks and PSUs nothing exceeds like excess.

I have also added an soft start board, with the switch at the back as I have a toddler.
Old 12th January 2019, 12:53 PM   #4475
Johnny2Bad is offline Johnny2Bad  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtshopdog View Post
I ran a retail business for decades and did my share of insurance claims.
... {snip} ...
For a shipping claim they will absolutely not pay you more than the declared value you entered at posting -sorry.
... {snip} ...

I would like to add that the declared value (or the default insurance, depending on the carrier) is the absolute maximum they will pay, and you need to prove to their satisfaction the loss, which can be less than the declared value / default insurance, especially with DIY stuff.

I do wonder, however, if you could dig up some industry standard values of parts cost / retail price, would need documented evidence, not just heresay or posts in a web site, but the industry press might offer it. Worth looking up at least to justify a proper (for you) value of an assembled, working unit. Some insurance offers *replacement value* which is another avenue to explore.

The worst that could happen is they say no.

Just back today from a six week hospital stay. Yes, I spent Xmas in a hospital bed. This health stuff is getting old, and cuts into my DIY budget and time. But I am still plugging along.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 12th January 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12th January 2019, 03:53 PM   #4476
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
For those using the Modushop/diyAudio Store chassis (e.g. Mini Dissipante) with the baseplate: do you know how tall the baseplate is? I.e., how much height does the baseplate add to the bottom of the chassis? Maybe stated another way: how much internal height does the baseplate remove? I am designing the rear panel cutouts, and want to make sure I don't go too low and end up interfering with the baseplate.

Thanks!
Old 12th January 2019, 06:09 PM   #4477
asuslover is online now asuslover  Romania
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
I really like your parallel86 amp, I know it sounds very good.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:32 PM   #4478
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKettle View Post
Bit of a blast from the past, but I have picked up and remade a Parallel-86 amp.
"Blast from the past" I like it... That's a very nice amp and nice build. Enjoy. Thank you for sharing.

One thing, though: I suggest supporting the side of the amp boards that's away from the heat sink (i.e. the side with the input connector). One way to do this would be to use a tall standoff between the bottom of the chassis and the PCB. Preventing the board from being a cantilever off of the heat sink will increase reliability. If you have a transfer punch, it should be trivial to get the holes in the right spots. Just a suggestion.

Tom
Old 12th January 2019, 06:33 PM   #4479
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For those using the Modushop/diyAudio Store chassis (e.g. Mini Dissipante) with the baseplate: do you know how tall the baseplate is?
Not off the top of my head. However, if you toss Gianluca (ModuShop) an email, he'll be happy to share the CAD file with you.

Tom
Old 12th January 2019, 10:03 PM   #4480
MrKettle is online now MrKettle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
"Blast from the past" I like it... That's a very nice amp and nice build. Enjoy. Thank you for sharing.

One thing, though: I suggest supporting the side of the amp boards that's away from the heat sink (i.e. the side with the input connector). One way to do this would be to use a tall standoff between the bottom of the chassis and the PCB. Preventing the board from being a cantilever off of the heat sink will increase reliability. If you have a transfer punch, it should be trivial to get the holes in the right spots. Just a suggestion.

Tom
Slight issue there is that the boards are slightly slanted so that the mountings are in the gaps between fins (when the little hex spacers are used). Broken too many M3 taps recently...

Modulus-86  build threadHide this!Advertise here!