Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

The many parallel-TDA7293 ACE-BASS amp project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2015, 03:38 PM   #41
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

While I sort out what to do, here are some musings on the ACE-BASS circuit...

Looking at Stahl's JAES paper from 1981 it's clear that he uses some feedback from the sense resistor to both create the amplifier's negative output resistance and to simulate the output network in the input network (it's not exactly clear to on how this last one works).

Keeping that in mind, there is also the work from Werner in the late 1950's. Werner used a negative output impedance amplifier to extend and smooth the bass response and lower distortion. Werner explicitly states that a negative impedance is superior to a negative resistance because the latter will cause a high-Q resonance to form with the voice coil inductance in the 500-1kHz range, which is exactly one of the things that Stahl's circuit suffers from.

So, why not combine these two concepts? Stahl makes very clear that the negative output impedance amplifier portion of his circuit is separate from the bandpass filter part, so in theory this should be do-able. By using a negative impedance a la Werner the resonance problem can be reduced or eliminated alltogether, and Werner mentions that his circuit was very stable, which can't be said about Stahl's circuit if Zu ~ Re.
Old 14th June 2015, 07:34 AM   #42
doctordata is offline doctordata  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
I re-read Stahl's paper and it dawned on me that it might be even better to try and implement the ACE-BASS circuit using DSP instead of with analog circuitry. It's more or less spelled out how to do this by Stahl, and I recall hearing of such an implementation before I think. I should also be able to implement the LEMF circuit with DSP as well. Using DSP should make the system easier to tweak during development.

That leaves the amplifier. Maybe I will turn my attention back to that. I am sure that I will learn some things in the process, since designing layouts for amplifiers is not something I have done before. I guess I am familiar with the general principles at least.
Any progress ?

Cheers ,

Rens
Old 18th June 2015, 05:47 PM   #43
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah, well, unfortunately... no. I have been busy working on some Linux audio applications and I didn't think that there was all that much interest for my complicated circuit anyway. It's still on the back, back burner I guess!
Old 16th April 2018, 01:42 PM   #44
burk is offline burk
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
I re-read Stahl's paper and it dawned on me that it might be even better to try and implement the ACE-BASS circuit using DSP instead of with analog circuitry. .
Hi Charlie.
did you made any progress in the DSP theme for ACE?
Burk

The many parallel-TDA7293 ACE-BASS amp projectHide this!Advertise here!