Linn SMPS for LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You may have to add a dummy load to the SMPS to get a useful reading of output voltage.

Try 100r to start. That will draw 10mA for each volt of output voltage. i.e. a 20V supply will push ~200mA into that 100r and will dissipate 4W. It will get hot very quickly.

Add more 100r if you want to see how much the output voltage varies with loading.

if the TDA7293 is a chipamp, then yes. Haven't measured the power supply voltage but I think its output voltage is 40V-45V DC so it's a lot higher than the 24v DC recommended for the LM3886 boards.

May try sourcing a pair of Quad 405 clones or NAP140 clone boards which are rated for that voltage.
For me it would be interesting to know the audible impression by a listening test between this SMPS from Linn and a classic 50/60Hz version (300VA toroidal transformer, ultra fast rectifier and capacitors with screw terminals.
Who have made this comparable test ?

The distortion and noise waveform with fundamental notched out at Klimax 500 don't looks good - go to the attachment (second image is the same diagram with Pass Aleph 1.2) and this test
Linn Klimax 500 Solo monoblock power amplifier | Stereophile.com
It cannot be completely ruled out, that the main reason therefore Linn's SMPS approach is.

Attachments

• Linklifig4.jpg
    Linklifig4.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 264
  • 693PASFIG4.jpg
    693PASFIG4.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.