Can any one tell how to reduce woofer's ripple distortion sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have assembled an amplifier with using LA4440 amp circuit and that will be work for stereo 8" Woofers.

The problem is I'm getting a kind of distortion sound (like ripple sound) when playing songs.

Here i need your help..
1. Is there any possible way to reduce the distortion sound ?

2. What is the root cause for the distortion sound ?

3. I've heard that we can reduce the sound by changing the external components in the amp circuit (like as Capacitors & Resistors). Is that possible ? if yes, please help me with what are the components need to be changed.

Note: I've connect that same speakers with Sony Hi-Fi music player, its sounds great!

Please help me...

Hi All,

I have assembled an amplifier with using LA4440 amp circuit and that will be work for stereo 8" Woofers.

The problem is I'm getting a kind of distortion sound (like ripple sound) when playing songs.

Here i need your help..
1. Is there any possible way to reduce the distortion sound ?

2. What is the root cause for the distortion sound ?

3. I've heard that we can reduce the sound by changing the external components in the amp circuit (like as Capacitors & Resistors). Is that possible ? if yes, please help me with what are the components need to be changed.

Note: I've connect that same speakers with Sony Hi-Fi music player, its sounds great!

Please help me...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Since you say it sounds good with Hifi amp, it sounds like you need a better amp. A few low cost choices that I think sound very good:

1. TPA3116D2 - look in class D forum. $13 to $20 for 50 watts/ch. 40 clean watts with 0.1% THD with a 19v laptop supply. Yuan Jing Audio - ON SALE! - TPA3116 Class-D 2.0 Stereo Amplifier Board [50W+50W] - $19.99

2. TDA7297 amp, aka the "Lunch Money" amp for $5. It calls for a 12v supply for 15 watts but if you need more, use a 19v laptop supply for 25 watts (gets hot though). Don't let the cost of this amp fool you. It sounds very good. AC/DC12V TDA7297 Rev A Low Noise Audio Amplifier Board 2*15W Dual Channel Digital Stereo free shipping-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

Good luck!

The forum members advising you are right, but lets examine why ? In any question about an amplifier or semiconductor parts in this case a chip amp always refer to the manufacturers data sheet.
www.bucek.name/pdf/la4440.pdf

Here you will see if you are connecting the LA4440 correctly by following the schematic and suggested circuit layout. Examine THD ( Total harmonic Distortion ) which provides when the amp gets above about 3.5 watts the rest of the output up to its maximum is high in distortion.

There are many good chip amps available as kits, with the LM3886 is a fairly good choice, but before buying read the many threads and discussions about it, and other chip amps on the forum to assist your choice. :)
Chip Amps - diyAudio

Cheers / Chris

No its not a power supply ripple, because when i connect the same amplifier with 5.5" woofers its sounds perfect without any noise/distortion.

problem is only when i'm connect that with 8" woofers (but the same 8" woofers working great on Sony Hi-Fi music player).

I don't know which component is causing that distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.