guitar pickup pre / phase flipper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i think this might be better !

I've drawn the switch as a mecnanical one, but i hope you can see how to transpose it to CMOS ones ?

Attachments

• Zero d 4 dataplex.png
    Zero d 4 dataplex.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 75
yeah i need the same gain for both - and + phase signals. ideally amplification within the 20 - 40dB range using a (10k?) pot while i am fine tuning the rest of my circuit. at this point im not sure how hot i need the signal to be.

also, since the CMOS chips i'm using are the 4066 i'd have to configure them to do dual throw (which im not sure is even possible, maybe my brain needs some more coffee).

furthermore im concerned that a hi-z guitar input signal wouldn't pass nicely through a CMOS chip without some prior amplification......

so...... if i add a preamplifier stage before Zero D's circuit...

electronically... how is that different from my original design?

i see that the inverting/noninverting inputs are not connected together, but the circuits are very similar!

id love to better understand what is going on...

if my design makes sense, AND isn't too different from Zero D's design AND allows me to use the 4066 without any dualthrow not gate wizardry - i think i might go with it - am i on the right track?

thanks guys....

I just wasn't sure your circuit would accomplish the inversion properly. So I did a sim and it does work fine. Your circuit with the single 4066 should work ok then. If you have any spare 4066 gates, I would parallel them if you can, just to lower the resistance as much as possible.

I just wasn't sure your circuit would accomplish the inversion properly. So I did a sim and it does work fine. Your circuit with the single 4066 should work ok then. If you have any spare 4066 gates, I would parallel them if you can, just to lower the resistance as much as possible.

okay! i will try and do that... thank you so much for all your help - will post back with results...

all the best,
úlfur

It is sort of a weird circuit though. With the switch closed, the op-amp has a gain of -1. With the switch open, you have a gain of -1, AND a gain of +2, so the sum (it's a difference amp actually) is +1.

But it does accomplish what you want, and with a single switch. :cool:

Last edited:
I only responded initially to the phase inversion aspect, as that was your main concern. So i expected the preceeding gain circuit to be still in place ;)

Whichever circuit you go for, with the 100k & 100nf components around the 1st OpAmp, the bandwith will ONLY be about 16hz, so you won't hear Anything :D You need to change the cap to 100pf to give you a 16kHz f3. Or alter to suit.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
This kind of phase flipper with a single switch to ground is not new at all and should work properly. You will find the same idea in old phaser circuitry.
The feedback network of the pre-Amp is wrong, as ZD stated.
Pre-Amp gain should be less than 10x if you will avoid clipping during loud playing the guitar.
The phase flipper makes obviously audible differences in case you combine pickups -
remember "out of phase sound" used by mark knopfler, for instance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.