Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Joe Rasmussen "Trans-Amp" - 40 Watt Transconductance "Current Amplifier"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2019, 10:15 PM   #451
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

While this address does not work (here?) the direct one works (see above). The problem may be not https but something else.
Old 4th December 2019, 10:51 PM   #452
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohk View Post
The problem may be not https but something else.
This is where the actual Gif graphic file is stored on my website and this is what is used when I upload it in a message:

"https://www.customanalogue.com/diy/Trans_Amp_Schema_Wiring_Caution.gif"

Copy and paste the URL address and you have direct access to it. How diyaudio.com deals with this is beyond my control, does the graphic get stored elsewhere (on a Dutch .nl website?)?
Old 4th December 2019, 11:28 PM   #453
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yes, this is what I did. It is very easily to add it here:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:51 AM   #454
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The entirety of webspace is in transition to all https:

dave
Old 9th December 2019, 04:10 PM   #455
Ken Newton is offline Ken Newton  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
Hi Ken

You have probably seen that PCB on my website.
Yes.

Quote:
So Ken, this new (dangerous word these days) amplifier is all about the current. Even that front-end is about current, the input stage converts the source voltage to current, then the 900V Power MosFets are driven via their Sources as the inputs. There is absolutely zero voltage swing on the Gate that is normally used as input, so the non-linear capacitance there has no effect.
I, too, am a fan of the grounded-gate. As you know, it's very common in RF applications, but is rarely used in audio (except as a cascode, of course).

Quote:
I was very lucky, through a personal contact I was able to get the circuit computer modeled by one of the world's best, the head of Power Electronics, part of SpaceX. He actually designs the guidance systems in Elon Musk's rockets, indeed Musk's right-hand electronics guy.
You are very fortunate to have access to leading-edge engineering talent like that. Does this gentleman also happen to be an audio enthusiast?

Quote:
I am 68 today (I don't celebrate birthdays) and in my life this has been the single largest project and really only finished last month.
Happy Birthday, just the same!

Quote:
I will be doing some measurements soon that will show distortion on the current of an amplifier that does not show up on the voltage side. A crude measurement has already been done, but needs to be done more critically and documented right, as well as capturing the distortion on the acoustic side of the speaker. I have about twenty people that the results will be shared with and we will have a private discussion online where the trolls cannot shout it down with noise.

Keep in touch if you have an interest in the above. My email address is publically known joeras@customanalogue.com and I trust you, so I can fill you in on those measurements.

Cheers, Joe
I'm naturally curious and attracted to new ideas, so, yes, I'd be interested in being apprised of intriguing breaking developments.

Off topic. I'm curious about your perspective on volume controls, about your preferred form/implementation. There are so many differing approaches, and I don't recall reading your thinking about it. I'm currently working on an DIY preamp and would value your input about this. I don't want to hijack this thread, so, perhaps, PM me, or point me to any prior published comments of yours about this, if that's not too inconvenient. Thanks, Joe.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 9th December 2019 at 04:15 PM.

Joe Rasmussen "Trans-Amp" - 40 Watt Transconductance "Current Amplifier"Hide this!Advertise here!