My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

Understood, thank you.

I remember Dario suggested getting soldering pot for them. Has anybody tried just to rub off the coating ?

I have a pot but still haven't dug it out of storage. I used a mini butane torch with a couple heat sink pliers to burn off the coating on ~ 3/8 inch, then cleaned the tips with acetone and a wire brush. Also used the torch to solder the fastons (which hopefully will disappear soon).

Oh my.. Duelund Alexander on massive discount at Partsconnexion .
So tempting, but if I go for it for C13 I am just going to use them and no caps rolling... :/

The interesting question is how would they sound? Especially compared to the BOM recommendations?

I haven't found too many reviews of the Alexander online, but it seems like they are less good than the more expensive Duelands, yet still very nice. It seems like they might end up in the same ballpark as the True Coppers, but that is just speculation on my part. In the end, it's all about the mix of sounds that components bring and how they work for you in your system.

Please, let us know if you decide to try them.

I m awaiting for a quote from PCX. It seems to be even with all charges it will be approx 95£ which is almost 2x price of True Copper. But knowing hificollective price of alexander here in UK ~ £150 + shipping this deal is not that bad.
After all I am not paying double vat- going to collect them locally in Canada.

Humble test puts duelund on 12.5 and 14 points score. Alexander is cheaper, so it could be truly in audyn's quality ballpark with twice the price. You never know :)
What I am going to do is probably to offer Dario or any other Chief Designing Officer :D to test them and compare to other caps.
Can send caps here in EU for you guys to give them proper review.
Of course if price quote from PCX is ok..

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes you are right they are a pair of PD's 4780 boards.The FE was a big improvement over the Audiosector 3875 pcb's which they replaced in another build.The FE has now been returned to my brother;he was getting withdrawal symptoms :D
Bob the other boards are a Salas Bib regulated supply which feeds 5vdc to the other one which is an Optivol LDR volume control.To my ears the bib made abig difference to sound quality of the Optivol even though its only supplying the led's of the LDR's.
The Salas Bib boards are available from Teabag; the OPtivol came from dvbprojeckt but are no longer available but he did supply all the details on the thread should anyone wish to make there own and they do sound surprisingly good.Not forgetting a big thank you to Uriah Dailey for supplying well matched LDR's.

Just realised no way I am going to use maplin hook up wire with this build. What is your choice for component wiring ?

You can make a very good cable using this OCC wire.

Use 0.45mm for signal and 0.70mm for ground, run them parallel with cotton tubing and polyolefine heatshrink.

But buy it only if you're willng to determine correct direction, OCC wire is directional (the correct direction sound fuller, the wrong one dry and more reverberant).

Otherwise a balanced OFC cable will do a very fine job.

Asked question but only now I see cotton tubing and polyolefine heatsink.. need to figure out what and how now.
I like the idea of doing maximum diy within given build though.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,025
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,985