Super Cheap DVD players

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apex Digital

The chairman of Apex Digital, a major US importer of TVs and DVD players, has been arrested in China.

The confirmation of David Ji's arrest came as Chinese media reports said he had been detained on fraud charges.

More info on BBC news Web site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4134349.stm

Perhaps if you do want a cheap DVD machine to modify - get one now - the supply may dry up.....!

Cyberhome 300

Hi guys;

Just broke down and bought a Cyberhome 300 for under $40 from Walmart - so far so good. Sound seems a bit edgy, but it's not had any time to run in yet. OTOH, it was easy enough to change the region code to "0" (read all regions). Believe it or not, the instructions are posted over at the Amazon.com's review page (though you have to use the arrow keys to change the code itself, which he omitted to mention). It's also a marvelously compact DVD player, which is a big plus in my space starved household.

Only glitch so far was when I used 'eject' before stopping play, then inserted another disk. The machine got "lost" (evidently it didn't realise the disk had been changed) but a quick "stop" and "play" solved that (I've had the same thing happen on my $350 Sony and original $400 Panasonic, so it was hardly a let-down!).

Anyone else tried the Cyberhome 300? And if so, anyone tried tweaking it?

All the best,
Morse

Here's
A couple posts about it.

I havn't really modded it too much,added a couple of those green plastic caps to bypass the audio output electrolytics,and added the Os-con's in the power supply.
The power supply is a switching type (big suprise,how else would they cram it all in that small box!) and i'm sure more could be done to it,to clean up the output,regulation,etc. if you really wanted to.
But really,for so cheap,it's not all that bad as-is!

ok, didn't get the player after all offcource, what appears to good to be true, is usally just that. to good to be true.

so i went ahead and ordered myself one o theese:
http://www.mamut.com/dynabel/subdet321.htm

not that most of you guys can read Norwegian offcource, but either way:
DivX capable
24bit\196khz dac
10bit video dac
DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, SVCD, VCD and MP3. Dolby Digital and DTS decoder. soundoutputs: Analog 5.1, Optic and Coax. Video outputs: VGA, Scart, S-Video and analog out.
It has progressiv scan (VGA og scart) and HDCD dekoder.

cost me about 80euro.
not too bad, and is said to have a OK build quality as well.

Update...

Hi guys;

Spent the day running in the Cyberhome 300 and reading up on firmware hacking - here are some observations:

One thing of interest is the "RCE" ("Region Code Enhancement") system that is on Sony and Columbia/Tristar disks. Apparently it was designed to defeat people with "region free" players - but so far it's not fazed the Cyberhome 300. "Blackhawk Down", "The Patriot", and "Spider-Man" are all reportedly fitted with RCE and they all played fine with the player set to region "0" (plays all regions).

Another thing of interest is the site at: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

It's got oodles of info, though some is apparently rather dicey (there was one poster who claimed to have a hack code for the Panasonic A110 - unfortunately several of the people who tried it reported that it ERASED part of their player's firmware....). I guess it's a case of "use anything you read online at your own risk".

Thanks Digital Junkie!

It's good to read from someone else out there who's having a blast with these cheap little DVD players!

The cyberhome is still a bit edgy in the upper midrange, so I may bypass the output caps eventually. However, as a Fostex devotee, I've learned all about the virtues of patience in giving hifi kit a chance to run in properly.

Hope I didn't put anyone to sleep!
All the best,
Morse

jean-paul said:
I would not trust a device which has "Fornt" channels, A "coxa" digital output and a "progressive scans out" VGA connector ;)

ok, you are reffeing to typo's that arn't there?
i wrote coax, nothing about "Fornt" channels, and whats wrong with it having progressiv scan outs?

last i checked this was regarded as an improvement t picture quality..

i'm a bit puzzled by your post..

thomas997 said:

hahaha that is hilarious :)

why?

JochenH said:
He's referring to the typos printed on the backpanel of the player which can be seen on the photo in the link you posted. Indeed amusing :D

HA! just saw it..
now, im getting worried that this might not have been a good buy after all..:rolleyes:

oh well, i'm comforted by the thought that i'm getting a player of the new batch, and not the one in the picture. :apathic:

all i can do now is hope that the interior is paid better attension than the exterior. :xeye:

Cheap DVD Players

That seems still sorta expensive for DVD players. Pretty much every store has ones for 49.99cdn ~$41american and sales and stuff are even cheaper. When I worked at Futureshop the store made only a few bucks on those so I think it was just to get people into the store...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Cheap DVD Players

ocool_15 said:
That seems still sorta expensive for DVD players. Pretty much every store has ones for 49.99cdn ~$41american and sales and stuff are even cheaper. When I worked at Futureshop the store made only a few bucks on those so I think it was just to get people into the store...

In Canada they get as cheap as $35 CAD... but after a visit to Future Shop the least i think i'd spend is $100 (~80 USD) for the Panasoic that (by the heft) probably has an analog supply.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.