Troublesome Technics SA-310

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am new to this forum, the other day I was using my Technics SA-310 and when I turned it on the speakers on the right side made a short buzz and then stopped producing sound all together. The left side still works, but it seems to me that the power is a bit reduced. Any advice as to what is wrong and how to go about fixing it would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, I am new to this forum, the other day I was using my Technics SA-310 and when I turned it on the speakers on the right side made a short buzz and then stopped producing sound all together. The left side still works, but it seems to me that the power is a bit reduced. Any advice as to what is wrong and how to go about fixing it would be greatly appreciated!

Lower cost Technics often used power hybrid modules (early 'chipamps'). I think you'll find yours has failed. If you repair it yourself beware of failing solder connections of the heatsink mounted components to the PCB. BTW don't run it until it's repaired.

Could the root of the problem be the pre-drive or the current stabilizer transistors?

Most common electronic failures are the devices that run hot. The Voltage regulators are common to both channels so nothing would work. The pre-drive is often an opamp and while they fail, it's a rarity. I'm just going on the odds here so it could be something else but power devices are by far the most common.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.