Trying to improve on a GainCard concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I think the batteries are a way to go. Less glare and more resolution. After a while you are getting used to the sound, but at my current setup I can understand lyrics almost automatically. Just yesterday I was listening to New Model Army (singles compilation) and for the first time I could hear all the words.

As to the regulators, I still didn't have a chance to put them together. I'm experimenting with digital now and try to fulfill some current orders. After we switched to NI, the amps sell like hot cakes (joke;))

Peter Daniel said:
Yes, I think the batteries are a way to go. Less glare and more resolution. After a while you are getting used to the sound, but at my current setup I can understand lyrics almost automatically. Just yesterday I was listening to New Model Army (singles compilation) and for the first time I could hear all the words.

Peter,

Thanks for sharing. I'll give batteries a go later. Do you have any pictures of your battery supply box. It'll definitely help those layout and design challenged guys like me a lot. :D

Peter Daniel said:

Have you tried batteries with some capacitance yet, say around 10,000uF? Been meaning to give that a try but haven't got 'round to it yet.

Peter Daniel said:
Yes, I think the batteries are a way to go. Less glare and more resolution.
Yes and that can be addictive.In fact the gainclone is the perfect candidate for batteries with low power consumption.The batteries bring it to another level entirely which is something you cannot do with Class A or tubes.After going to batteries for amp and pre-amp and seeing the difference I would really like to do the same to my Perpetual Technologies DAC and Teac VRDS-25.
However I don't seem to able to find schematics for the DAC and as to the CDP it may need various voltages obviously.Anybody have the Teac schematics?
Objective: An all battery system.

Click English, then Cees & Olaf, then Cap mod 2.

I have actually tried this and am not sure if it does make that much difference. Then again, a friend who listened to my buffered IGC where I was using them as DC blockers, thought it sounded so good he is building his own so who knows?

As ever in this game the only way to find out is to try it yourself! (Or ask PD to ;) )

Yep Peter , gone to 24 Vdc.
The charger system is kinda simple (like me) its 1 SPST relay for the chargers(110 V line) and 2 DPST relays for the chargers to batteries(DC to the batteries) , all relays 110 V.All activated by 1 switch.I just turn the amp volume to min. and switch on the charging system when i am not listening.
The chargers are 1.5 amp trickle chargers from your friendly neighborhood walmart , $16.95 ea., and i use 4 of them.
Yea yall were right , the 24 Vdc batt P/S just blows away 12Vdc.
ron

Also i see very little point in using any caps @ the power supply pins.
The reason they are there anyway is to remove any ripple in the power signal(no ripple with batt P/S) and to provide the additional current with no voltage drop when a sudden demand occurs and with battery over 7amp/hr there is more than enough current reserve.
I found out that the 1uf between the P/S pins was the min.thats required.
ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.