Trying to improve on a GainCard concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

moe29 said:
Peter,

You need to figure a way to mate an iPod to this new amp.
I bet an iPod playing .wav files would sound pretty dang good.

---- threadjack -----

Check out the new Rio Karma hard drive player. It supports mp3, wma, ogg (!!!) AND flac - with flac being a freely available (that is open source :) ) lossless audio codec (that means audio quality like CD with files being 25 - 40 % smaller).

Sadly, Apple doesn't warm up to other standards other than mp3. Ogg would be nice (better quality at same / lower bitrates), flac would be nice for audiophiles...

----- threadjack end ----

Bye,

Arndt

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
There are some new pictures on the website:
http://www.specializedkits.com/patek.html

I like this one:

Peter,
Do you have the original Patek unit on hand? That would be an interesting size comparison.

--
Brian

Attachments

• patek11.jpg
    patek11.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,116
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
digi01 said:
Hi Peter,GC designs of yours, very exquisite.The panel of the aluminium and those four silver capacitors leave a good impression on me. I see a lot of designs of yours to use this kind of capacitor.Is it Panasonic fc? What parameter? Where can buy it? thanks!

digi01

It looks like he is using 1000uF 35v BlackGate capacitors in the Patek amplifier shown above.

--
Brian

It looks like he is using 1000uF 35v BlackGate capacitors in the Patek amplifier shown above.

50 volt rating I hope if he is being safe! ;)

Digi, were you asking about the caps because they are silver? If so, this is achieved by skinning the caps, ie taking off their plastic jackets. Some people claim that this changes the sound although I cannot hear any difference but it does make them look nicer.

If you skin caps, remember that their cases are conductive so don't let them touch anything else metallic (including each other).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.