Has anyone ever had experience with MUSE opamps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I would want some better detail and explanation as to how this opamp gained "great reviews" and the bona fides of who wrote them.

Some products with anonymous reviews solicited from websites, turn out to be trash with the secret ingredients of packaging, copycat
cool brand name and good, old fashioned BS.

Given the ease of swapping in a DIP8 socket and making no other circuit changes in say, a line level amplifier, what could we expect it
to do for audio, if it can only add its $50 worth of relatively high THD?

The 0.4ppm THD is specified at 1Khz and gain of 1 , not exceptionnal.
At higher frequencies it s inferior to a NE5532 wich has also half the noise
of this JRC wonder....

http://semicon.njr.co.jp/eng/PDF/MUSES8920_E.pdf

An opamp like LM4562 does have better specs. However, they sound bright and metallic compared to other opamps and discrete circuits when used for voltage amplification. I'm most interested in the sound.

I would want some better detail and explanation as to how this opamp gained "great reviews" and the bona fides of who wrote them.

Some products with anonymous reviews solicited from websites, turn out to be trash with the secret ingredients of packaging, copycat
cool brand name and good, old fashioned BS.

Given the ease of swapping in a DIP8 socket and making no other circuit changes in say, a line level amplifier, what could we expect it
to do for audio, if it can only add its $50 worth of relatively high THD?

Stereophile and 6moons gave it rave reviews of the opamp as part of a $400 DAC upgrade, even though the opamps themselves are much cheaper. They said it was a great value.

Never in a million years will someone be able to tell this op amp apart from an NE5532.

Depends how the opamp is used. As a buffer, the NE5532 actually has superior specs. Likely no audible difference. As a voltage amplifier, there is a definite difference between NE5532 and other opamps such as LM4562. If I can tell the difference in a blind test with you as the operator, do I get a prize? I would happily prove to you what I already know so long as I am paid for my time.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Reviews

So, all the inaudible specified nasties have been checked and we predict it will be indistinguishable in use,
so how do the incredibly perceptive reviewers at Six Moons find it to be superior to others?
Maybe by inferior implementations? After all, just dropping a JFET input amp into BJT's dip socket will usually
cause some audible disturbance, yet this is an accepted methodology for "Hi-end" sound dabblers and,
I would suggest, non-technical reviewers. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.