LM3886 power consumption in idle/mute mode

Unfortunately it is not mainly the psu. The losses in the psu should be minimal compared to the consumption of the power stage.

The setup:
1x psu, 1x microcontroller+mixer, 1xpower-amp with 3xlm3886.

The measuements I already made:
- The psu+microcontroller-board alone: 6.85W
- All connected, mute on: 14.65W
- All connected, mute off: 15.0W
- All connected, mute disconnected*: 14,65W

*the mute is switched by the micro.

This results in approx. 2.6W-2.7W per lm3886.
The schematic is mainly the basic datasheet suggestion.

The ripple voltage of the psu is <=200mV (peak-peak) for the +rail and <=120mV for the -rail while playing music at low volume @+/-26V.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hello together!
Since the forum and google search did help, here is my current issue:

I measure a power consumption of about 2.6W (mute on) and 2.7W (idle) for one LM3886 in my diy amp. The measurement includes the losses in the psu. The psu provides +/-25V=.

Is 2.7W a normal value?

Redards.

Sounds very reasonable. 2.7watts and a 50 volt supply is around 54ma. The data sheet say 50ma as typical and 85ma as a max so its spot on.

Is that what you mean :)

That quiescent current stated in the specification is for normal no-signal operating condition.
I cannot see a specification value for current when in mute mode.
When I look at the mute circuit on p7, it appears that the mute only attenuates the gain of the input stages. It does not show any connections to the power stages. That's where the big current consumption will be. The earlier stages will probably be more like opamps in current consumption.

My 4 x LM3886 stereo bridge/BTL AMP consumes 390 mA at Vtt = 39 V (+/- 19,5V).
So 97,5 mA per LM3886, out of extreme specs of 85mA. Makes 3.8W per piece.
At Vtt = 30V same current (so less power).
It seems not to osccillate.
DC offset output is only 6,5 mV (2 x 6,5 mV / 4 Ohm = ca. 3,25 mA) ; so, that cannot be the problem. Speakers disconnected does not make any difference in the current, which is consistent with de DC offset measurment.

Should I be worried?

Last edited: