Gainclone as a subwoofer amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There have been some discussions of the use of gainclones as subwoofer amps - but nothing quite addresses my question.

I am building an OB with a field coil driver as the main component driven by a PP 6W valve amp. I want to add an active sub and have some nice 12" Woofers which will be aperiodically loaded. I want to build the Field coil supply and the Subamp in one box and it will be set to the specific frequency of the baffle design - ie no adjustment.

My question is, can I use a buffer opamp at the input and then build the power amp using an LM3875 set up as the active second order filter of the amp set at 150hz. Will the standard opamp filter design calculators produce usable results in this situation ?

Hope someone can offer some advise.

Shoog

Last edited:
The OB will run fullrange, with a first order roll in of a horn tweeter to sweeten things up. This will be mounted on the tweeter.

I have found various references to a suitable opamp circuit. I am aware that LM3875's are only stable at 10x gain, but I am wondering if they will be stable at unity gain down at these frequencies.

Shoog

using an LM3875 set up as the active second order filter of the amp set at 150hz. Will the standard opamp filter design calculators produce usable results in this situation ?
It is not likely that you get such a setup to work stably.

I am aware that LM3875's are only stable at 10x gain, but I am wondering if they will be stable at unity gain down at these frequencies.
That is exactly the point. It is pretty likely that the amp will start to oscillate when you build a low-pass filter around it. If you don't want to build an active stage before the amp, but you are sure that a second order filter is enough for you, you can try a passive filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.