Need help with opa549 e/s pin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to make a few gainclones based on the BB opa549 chip and am wondering what to do with the E/S pin, can I just drop a resistor to ground? If so what value would you use?

I also want to run them into a 4 ohm load, what supply voltage would be the best to use for that load and how many watts could I reasonably expect? Would the OPA541 or LM3886 be a better choice?

Sorry for all the questions, Punch

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help so far.

"If the supplies are +/-20v, your peak output swing will be 16.4v whereas the RMS will be 16.4 * 0.707 = 12.6v. This will result in an RMS current of 1.45A into 8R, giving 16.82W RMS output power."

OK someone suggested to me I use +/- 24 V rails, and from the calculations above i get ~55 Watts of power.

What I am wondering is if the 549 is stable at it's max of +/- 30 V into a 4 ohm load, or would something like the lm3886 at 68 watts be a better choice? Since the 541 can handle +/- 40 V can it put out more power into the 4 ohm load I will be using, or would it not be stable enough? I'm still learning how to read the white papers on these chip amps.

Thanks

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The 549 is excellent, but I had problems when I was running it at 30V rails, the autoprotect kept cutting in. And this was with nice even 8ohm speakers.

Mine is currently running beautifully on 24V rails, with the traffo modded by unwinding some of the output turns.

I didn't used to like the LM3886, but I may be doing some further experimenting with them at some point, as I have found an application in which they sound very good indeed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.