amp for modest bookshelf speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning on building some bookshelf speakers for my desk for use with my computer.

maybe ZBM4.. maybe ZMV5.. or dayton budget.. dayton II, IDK I haven't decided.

The point is that I need an amp that will be on most of the time and not waste too much power, but still be able to effictively drive these speakers without too much compromise

Thoughts appreciated

Thanks,
nullstring

EDIT: perhaps I posted this in the wrong forum?
I was orginally planning on building a gainclone, but it seems like these would be too inefficient and overkill for my purposes, but I assumed I would still want a chipamp.
Let me know if thats not the case.

Last edited:
Or maybe not..

Will these low-power amps be able to drive my XXXX speakers with 8X-dB sensitivity?
•Many have good results even with as low as 86 dB/m. Room size, preferred listening levels, etc. all count. And keep in mind the clipping issue. These amps don't overload gracefully, so you'll have to operate them leaving enough headroom to avoid clipping or even overheating. The Tripath chips have good fault (temp, load, etc.) sensing, though not all amp designs take full advantage.

It doesn't look like the tripath amps have enough power to drive speakers like the dayton II..., which are lower than 86db

So, what exactly do I want..

Hi Nullstring
It all really depends on the listening level you want from you speakers.
If they are sitting on your computer desk they will be very close to you so not as much power needed . also the size of the room will be another part of the equation.
smaller speakers with high sensitivity tend to be weaker on bass response.
Mad Mark

The room isn't huge. It's 12 x 14 (ft), but it is a bedroom, so I won't always be right next to the computer.

I'm not really a basshead, and I don't really need the speakers to be excessively loud. I have more of a quality over quantity mindset.

Last edited:
Both seem like they shouldn't be left on 24/7.
Perhaps I should get over that fact and deal with flicking a switch.

However, it seems like a gainclone will be better in the long run.

I wish there was a spoon-feeding tutorial website for this thing like there is for most other projects I do.

Not that I need to be spoon-fed, but the.. lack of organization of information for this project is intimidating.

You don't need to leave the actual amplifier on all the time.

Use a circuit (always on, powered maybe by a small wall wart) that switches on a mains power relay once a music signal at the input is detected.

Arrange so that the amplifier stays on maybe for a minute (or more) after detecting the most recent music signal at the input, so that it doesn't switch off annoyingly between songs (555 timer maybe?).

I agree

Both seem like they shouldn't be left on 24/7.
Perhaps I should get over that fact and deal with flicking a switch.

However, it seems like a gainclone will be better in the long run.

I wish there was a spoon-feeding tutorial website for this thing like there is for most other projects I do.

Not that I need to be spoon-fed, but the.. lack of organization of information for this project is intimidating.
Hi nullstring
when i first looked at the threads for chipamp/gainclone's i also found the same problem as you . since then i have built three amplifiers using lm3886.
The first i built form the data sheet and i broke lots of rules it still worked and quite nicley too .
the last two i built where inverting version based on peter daniels chipamp. i made my own small pcb by removing un wanted copper with a dremmel. it now sounds very good indeed . maybe a kit would be a good place for you to start . you can even build them with no pcb,
it all depends on if you fancy starting a new and very rewarding hobby.
regards Mad Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.