Chip Amps and Pre Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many people (including myself) believe in the less is more philosophy. The idea being that every component in the signal path has an effect on the sound. The effect can be good for some equipment and some listeners, but that is up to your ears and your setup.

On the good side, using a retail pre-amp/pre-outs has the benefits that you are unlikely to have impedance matching issues, you probably gain useful functionality like remote volume control and possibly (if it's important), surround decoding.

You may not need either a pre-amp or a passive attenuator. A portable player with a built-in volume control (like an iPod) can be plugged directly into your amp. Pre-amps are more robust and give you more choices than a P.A. A passive attenuator may limit your choices of interconnect cables and of what units can be connected to what amplifiers.

That is the most important question that must be answered before looking at details and options.

Do you need extra gain between your source and your receiver?
Will attenuation and no extra gain be sufficient for all my sources?

If you do not need extra gain then do not provide it.
Use a unity gain active buffer plus attenuator or attenuator alone.

A lot of people report that the LM3875/3886 type gainclone sounds better with an input buffer following the volume control.

If it's a real observation, it probably has more to do with the source component not having enough oomph to drive a passive setup than a problem with the LM3875/3886 themselves.

A lot of people report that the LM3875/3886 type gainclone sounds better with an input buffer following the volume control.

If it's a real observation, it probably has more to do with the source component not having enough oomph to drive a passive setup than a problem with the LM3875/3886 themselves.
your last statement is quite definitely true.
No decent power amplifier needs a buffer in front of it.

Most sources that have a poor or bad output stage that is not designed to drive cables can benefit greatly from a buffer on their output.

Volume potentiometers are not designed to drive cables.

If one want a cable between a pot and the amplifier then then it is usual to add a buffer to the pot output to drive the connecting cable.

Volume potentiometers are not designed to drive cables.

If one want a cable between a pot and the amplifier then then it is usual to add a buffer to the pot output to drive the connecting cable.

Hi Andrew

Sorry if this is thread jacking

I am currently busy with a tube preamp for my turntable i would like to give this reamp a "volume control" My plan was to have a 100k pot at the ouput rca's.

why would this be bad?

I would not like to add a opamp buffer to my build. And i don't think it would be possibly to add a Pot to the input straight onto the low output of the turntable? or should I.

100k pot at the output rca's.

why would this be bad?
because the output impedance varies between 0k and 25k. This is very unlikely to be able to drive a cable with audio signal.

What is the output impedance of your tube/valve amplifier?
Has it got a buffer on it's output designed to drive cables?
Is there a location before the last active stage to insert a volume control without interfering with the operation of the amplifier?

Last edited:
Am I correct to say output impedance is 50K?

I should probably take this question to the tube part of the forum.
Output is VERY high , More than 2v peak.

Not sure where else to put in potentiometer?

Attachments

• phono4a_sch.gif
    phono4a_sch.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 151
output impedance = 1k62 is very possible.

50k sounds very unlikely for output impedance.
However 50k could be the recommended input impedance of the next stage.

More than 2Vac maximum output is not very high.
Most CD players have a maximum output >2Vac.
Most solid state pre-amps have a maximum output >>3Vac, 7Vac to 10Vac maximum is common for a SS output voltage.

Tube/valve can often have a maximum output around 30Vac. That is high in SS terms but not very high.

Last edited:
Andrew

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that the same is true if the pot is part of an integrated power amp rather than a spearate preamp and not driving a cable persay.

I'm sure it's got something to do with impedances but I'm too knackered to think about it right now.

because the output impedance varies between 0k and 25k. This is very unlikely to be able to drive a cable with audio signal.

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that the same is true if the pot is part of an integrated power amp rather than a spearate preamp and not driving a cable persay.
that's why I repeatedly recommend that beginners only build AC coupled amplifiers.
Leave DC coupling and all the extra bits till after one has learned to understand the operation of the amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.