LM3886 Schematics + PCB

Hi :

Can somebody help me with what the UF4007 does? Is it really necessary and will a 1N4004 be a good substitute?

Also how critical to performance is the 100uf that is connected to pin 4 through a 10K resistor?

Thanks

Attachments

• ApexAudio Super GC.png
    ApexAudio Super GC.png
    310.2 KB · Views: 1,418
Hi :

Can somebody help me with what the UF4007 does? Is it really necessary and will a 1N4004 be a good substitute?

Also how critical to performance is the 100uf that is connected to pin 4 through a 10K resistor?

Thanks
I think regulators will shut down randomly. It depends on mfgr.
Some will oscillate and some will latch.
Input voltage too high.
Best regards.

Hello,
I just completed the Prasi's single sided PCB LM3886.
So i have attached pics for my on/off mV reading getting 22mV on start and ~1.2v on switch off
After a second or so the mV is dropping to 0.9mV
Any recommendations or its safe to sound test my project?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Google Drive: Sign-in
Google Drive: Sign-in

Apex LM3886 Single Side

Mr.Mile,
added 56R resistors on regs and also managed to loose one jumper. is it perfect now?

reg
Prasi

Prasi's single PCB tested with TL072 and works great :)
No switch on and off noise, sound is coming out nicely and rich.
After listening to music for about an hour and half, my IC is just still cool, you touch even for +2min.
DC coming at 0.9mV while i listen to music.
Am suing 22-0-22 Toroidal Transformer, test PSU 4700uF/63v x4

Attachments

• Apex LM3886 Sing;e Side PCB_vPrasi.jpeg
    Apex LM3886 Sing;e Side PCB_vPrasi.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 404
  • LM3886 Single Side PCB_vPrasi 1.jpeg
    LM3886 Single Side PCB_vPrasi 1.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 479
  • LM3886 Single Side PCB_vPrasi 2.jpeg
    LM3886 Single Side PCB_vPrasi 2.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 467
I think regulators will shut down randomly. It depends on mfgr.
Some will oscillate and some will latch.
Input voltage too high.
Best regards.

Indeed, things looked suspicious so I googled a couple things. the OPA2134 has an absolute max power input of +/-18V, so if the regulators put out 18.01V (flip a coin and if it's heads they will), the op-amp has its specs exceeded. Likewise, the 7818/7819 regulator inputs are supplied by 35V, just exactly on the edge of their maximum voltage inputs.

I recall a thread a few years ago where several of us were trying to convince someone not to run things at their maximum voltage ratings, and it's not like they were in a major US or European city, they were in an area where parts are harder to get ...

Who "designs" these things?

A "super gainclone" adds an input buffer so that the lm3886 can be run inverting and at lower gain.

The gain difference is minuscule: 10 V/V vs 11 V/V (0.8 dB difference). The main difference is that the inverting configuration of the LM3886 gives a touch lower distortion as the common-mode distortion is eliminated.

The original Super GainClone used fairly high resistor values (10 kΩ) in the inverting stage ahead of the LM3886, which increased the noise quite a bit. You can address that by lowering those resistors to 1 kΩ, but you then need a buffer stage driving the 1 kΩ impedance.

Personally, I would rather use the opamps to perform error correction by making a composite amp as I did in the Modulus-86. That's a different level of design challenge, though.

Tom

Joined 2011
Paid Member
This is really nice schematics!

I am new to the diy audio and electronics in general.

What does UF4007 diode does? Connected to the output and +35V? Also, will 56R resistors help during the turn on when voltage from power supply can exceed more than 35V?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Apex Super Gainclone SCH.JPG
    Apex Super Gainclone SCH.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 198