Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

The best sounding audio integrated opamps
The best sounding audio integrated opamps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2018, 03:47 PM   #2331
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianThomas View Post
The LF353 is not a bad op amp, IMHO, and that of a few others. It was used in the original Meridian 101 preamp and didn't seem to get in the way. There's a longstanding rumour - decades old - that it and the TLO71/2 are one and the the same. I quite like the TLO72 for its get up and go, and it would probably be my choice if I were to design a budget component that needed to be engaging.
I'm glad that others seem to think the LF353 is a reasonable budget audio op amp. The JFET input is what I think I like about it, on a similar way that the OPA541 etc were attractive a few years ago.

LM7171 is one I'd like to try, as is one part I forget the number...but it is something like 1A output Ft of 600kHz.

TLE2301 or NTE1854 !!! that's it, I think....

Heck I have LM759 here, if only I could find a composite Master OP AMP slow enough and quiet enough to build the composite!

I'm actually part way through a Self style Op amplifier for headphones, using multiple paralleled LM833 rather than NE5532, as they are some 20% cheaper, and performance seems, on paper, fairly close.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 22nd September 2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 22nd September 2018, 06:57 PM   #2332
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianThomas View Post
Do those simplified published circuits actually reflect the circuit inside?
In this case yes.
Old 23rd September 2018, 08:42 AM   #2333
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

The LF353 had a stronger output stage, very little down into 1k
The TL072 is for about 2k minimum
Old 27th September 2018, 06:09 PM   #2334
audioman54 is offline audioman54  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi DIY Audio Group and Johnego,

I have been doing this "audio stuff" a very long time and worked closely with great analog circuit engineers like Bob Pease at National Semi. I will tell you the LME49713 is the best sounding opamp we ever created on the very special LME high voltage process that is gone now. We did extensive listening sessions comparing VFB and CFB opamps and for most applications we preferred the LME CFB's (LME49713HA) with the exception sometimes being for +/- DAC outputs where the identical +/- inputs on the VFB opamps present identical loads to the DAC's. The +/- inputs on a CFB opamp are different input circuits.

Anyway we designed the LME49713HA CFB opamps to exceed the AD811 specs and made some significant changes to optimize it for audio (rather than video) but the bandwidth is still very high (which is a good thing for a lot of reasons) and thus requires careful PC layout to prevent oscillations. The AD811 was based on the AD9610 metal can mil spec opamps and one of the best measuring and sounding opamps ever...also super expensive and impossible to find. I still have a few for personal projects.

We attempted to do our critical listening tests (after all the measurement tests) single and double blind but there is always room for error/disagreement in all listening results.

Just wanted everyone on this forum to think/try VFB and CFB (voltage feed back vs current feedback) opamps in their new designs. I mentioned the older AD811 ADI CFB parts because the last I heard the LME high voltage process was shut down by TI.

Best “Retired” Audio Regards Everyone,

audioman54
Old 27th September 2018, 06:17 PM   #2335
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The LF351 was used in the Audiovalve RKV hybrid headphones amp. A very decent sounding amp (I had it in kit form).

The lme49713 was a perfect output stage for headphones. Too bad it got discontinued.
Old 28th September 2018, 06:56 AM   #2336
mercedese63 is offline mercedese63  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnego View Post
Mercedese63,
The AD746 is the dual version, thus it doesn't have the COMP pins.

I have different view on the buffer part. Many good sounding opamps have bad performance (THD) driving low impedance load. But if you like the character of an opamp, then you buffer it with random opamp that will change those character you like, it is possible that you will blame the buffer.

BTW, what are your favorite opamps? Do you like the 744?
Yes, I'm very aware that the AD746 is the dual version of the AD744 w/o the compensation pins.
I have probably at least of 100 pcs. of each so I've been well aware of the differences between the 2 op-amps for years now.

Most op-amps weren't designed to drive low impedance loads in the first place and I don't use them in applications where they're expected to do so.
I ONLY use op-amps for low-gain preamp applications so their output current is usually more than adequate for those applications.

If a certain noninverting op-amp circuit sounds one way without a buffer and then sounds obviously worse with the addition of some type of buffer after it, then yes it's only common sense that one "blames" the buffer for the reduced sound quality.
There's no buffer that's absolutely 100% transparent that I've come across.
Should you come across one, by all means let me know.
For driving headphones there are numerous discrete designs that will leave many op-amps(even with a buffer) designs in the dust when it comes to output current and sound quality.

As for op-amps that I like, yes I like the AD744/746 as well as the ole' AD711/712 from Scott.
The AD4627-1, AD4610-2 and AD8597/8599 are also some of my favorites.
In addition, in the right applications I have found that many of the JRC bipolar chips, that many people on here try to degrade and dismiss, can sound very good and most can be purchased for less than $1USD each.
As for the LM4562/LME49720/LME49860...they just don't "do it" for me in all the circuits I've tried them in over the years but there are many loyal followers here for those chips.

I won't be replying to anymore posts about op-amps in this thread since my opinions/views are just one of hundreds on this forum.

Good luck with your project & happy listening!
Old 28th September 2018, 10:32 PM   #2337
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

While I was working my way through trying different integrated op amps, I wound up liking the ad744, jrc2114, sometimes jrc5532 more often than any others. Also the Muse parts have a very nice detailed sound that wasn’t heard in any of the others, although at a higher price.

I kind of saw that my bank account was draining fast, ordering small quantities of parts, paying for shipping, while trading one sonic benefit for another between the myriad of parts. It was also starting to look like my childhood collection of Hotwheels, and nearly as fun. I decided to finally just go ahead and try some popular discrete parts and end the hemorrhaging. That was 4 years ago.

There should be an op amp section in public libraries!

Also, the ad744 was nicer with a bit of bias also.

Last edited by phase; 28th September 2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 19th October 2018, 10:37 AM   #2338
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Rare there chinese suppliers who can be trusted for this opamps?, because there are reprinted ones and difficult to check.

Maybe someone has good experience with a supplier.

The best sounding audio integrated opampsHide this!Advertise here!