Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

strange 5.1 output configuration
strange 5.1 output configuration
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2009, 05:00 PM   #1
raindog is offline raindog  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to raindog
Default strange 5.1 output configuration

Hi everyone,

I've taken apart my 5.1 PC creative inspire p5800 ( not exactly audiophile but ok for 100$ ) in order to do some tweaking ( i've recently got a audiotrak prodigy 7.1 hifi soundcard so i thought that some upgrading of the speaker system was in order ). While I was studying the pcb ( nothing spectacular : two tda8947j amps, a few opamps two volume control ICs and a jrc 4558 as the headphone amp ) I've noticed something strange : the rear left output plug is wired in reverse phase to the rest of the outputs ( they are all RCA plugs soldered to the pcb so this is done intentional by the manufacturer and not a manufacturing mistake - and the front and rear speakers are not marked , any of the four speakers can be used with any rear or front output ).

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a reason behind this "mistake".

best regards

Paul
Old 21st May 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've done some more research (googling mostly )and aparently having the rear speakers in oposite phase makes the soudstage wider ( based on the research done with the passive haffler matrix ).
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:56 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Hi,
adding the out of phase rear speakers to a two channel Stereo signal was quite normal.

5.1 is a dedicated 6 channel sound system. It does not need a matrix system to generate any special effects.
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew,

I think you are right, but my guess is that Creative tried to make a fairly cheap and "lo-fi" system sound better ( they do-it whith their sondcards - a good example is the x-fi cards ''crystaliser'' ). I was just wondering if it's worth modifing the pcb so the rear speakers are in phase; I only use the system for movies and ocassional gaming.

Paul

strange 5.1 output configurationHide this!Advertise here!