Scavenging Parts From UPS Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to scavenge some parts out of an old UPS that I no longer need for my gainclone project. The transformer is an 8-0-8 I have no idea how many amps, but it certainly cooked the 600V 15A bridge I connected to it. Anyway, are there any other usable pars in these things (the bateries are fried). Also is 16V enough to run an LM1875 or will I run into some undervoltage issues.

Thanks.

I also used the transformer from an old UPS for my gainclone. There were however 4 wires out & 2 plug connectors with heavy duty cable straight to the board. Measurements gave 1 x primary & 1 x 24V secondary (28.5V with no load) coming out on the wires & 14.5 V off the Lucar type plugs.

Batteries were fine & charged & setup as 2 x 12V sealed in series. These are on hold for testing opamp circuits that I'm working on for the car (+- 12v with 0v in centre)

Cheers

Paul

squeezing useable voltages out

the example below shows how to get more (useable) voltage out of a computer power supply -- I show the MC31466 switcher chips since I have them in abundance (anyone want some email me privately.) The circuit uses SEPIC topology to boost and invert voltage, for the sake of clarity the compensation network isn't shown (it's on the PDF at ON SEMI, however.)

forgot the schematic

here:

Attachments

• salvage.gif
    salvage.gif
    10 KB · Views: 296
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.