Overvoltage protection with filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !
I've recently got this product (photo) - it has surge protection and high frequency filter. I want to try it with my main music system. But here is a catch - ''normal'' houses have three wires in the inwall socket: live wire, neutral wire and ground wire. Ground wire goes separate way to the earth.
But my house is not far from transformer station so I don't have ordinary ground wire (the third wire). Because the house is close to the transformer I have (I don't know the right word) - we call it ''zero grounding''. Neutral wire and ground wire are wired together.
I must ask if someone knows about this and the filter will still perform as it should or is useles with the wirings I have in the house?
Regards;

Attachments

• picture 004.jpg
    picture 004.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 138
Thanks a lot for the answer AndrewT.
I am confused because of the control lights that shows my wiring is not appropriate.
The manual says:
-if green indicator lights up everything is OK
-if orange indicator lights up the plug must be turned 180 degrees and then green indicator lights up
-if orange and green indicator lights up together then there is a problem with grounding
In my case both orange and green indicator lights on so the filter thinks that my grounding is not appropriate.
I've checked all my wall sockets with the same result.

Zero grounding is an obsolete form of dealing with a TN-C grid. It means that PEN is used until the wall outlet, where N and PE are connected to the same lead. Here in Germany it was forbidden so long ago that in the eighties even all existing grids had to be renovated to comply with a TN-S configuration. It has nothing to do with the proximity of a transformer station. TN-C should end at the distribution board, and from there on there should be a TN-S grid.

Being IEC member countries, the same rules that apply here in Germany, apply probably in Slovenia as well.

For your surge protector / HF filter that means it will work, but not as good as it would in a TN-S grid, because the path to earth is neither short nor clean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.