Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

"the Prius of home audio" - a friend's project
"the Prius of home audio" - a friend's project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2010, 03:18 PM   #11
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yeah, but where I live it was -8 degrees this morning. Let's see how well the "green hummer" does with the black ice and snow. Or even the battery pack on a hybrid.
An engine won't work very well at those low temperatures either. Fortunately, engines regularly used in cold climates have crankcase heaters. Similarly, battery packs for very cold climates would have heaters. The NiMH batteries used in current production hybrids are much more tolerant of cold weather than the lead acid batteries in regular cars. And lithium is even more tolerant.

Back on topic...
Quote:
If 1 watt is sufficient for 'normal' listening levels, why design an amp to give 60w rms? No matter how efficient the power supply is, it still has to be capable of supplying 60w rms !! No very efficient, really.
He had no idea how loud one watt is, so he was looking for at least 40w. But that is an average. Peak power requirements are quite a bit higher.
Quote:
While much of the audio garbage may not be audible, the energy does have to be dissipated in the form of heat. Adding several continuous watts of heat to a driver, especially something like a tweeter or fullrange in a sealed environment, can have detrimental effects.
Tell me how you can get several watts of heat in any load connected to the output with the amplifier only pulling one watt from the supply. At idle, the output carriers are in phase, so there would, in theory, be no net voltage across the load.
Quote:
Lead free solder is crap, its a feel-good solution to a non-existent problem. It's more brittle and harder to repair, leading to higher failure rates plus less things being repaired and instead being thrown out and replaced.
He has used lead free solder once and he's sticking to standard leaded for electronics work mainly because the higher temperatures may cause reliability problems with semiconductors. He does use lead free for tinning wires and splices.
Quote:
For the record, I've been an environmentalist my whole life. But I use reason instead of feelings to guide my judgment. I'm also an engineer, so I appreciate effectiveness and efficiency in balance and try to anticipate the follow-on consequences. Every amp case I've ever built has been from partly or fully recycled materials, mostly old IT gear. And frankly, I don't care about my carbon "footprint", it's a meaningless metric built on pseudoscience, politics, and a lack of macro understanding of how the global and solar energy cycle works.
Hybrid and pure digital amplifiers require less material to make due to higher efficiency levels. Then you get more savings due to the high efficiency level.
Quote:
You guys in the States will only get real about energy conservation when the price of petrol goes up, say to current European levels of $3.00 per litre.
I'm quite in favor of higher gasoline prices. Real environmentalists would not feel much since they don't drive much and they hypermile when they do.
Old 13th January 2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Current European levels are lower. In the Netherlands it is around 2,18USD per liter. Thats around 8,24 USD per Gallon.

"the Prius of home audio" - a friend's projectHide this!Advertise here!