Which Chip AMP you like most?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I play diy amp for several years, tried to build different chip amp such as 3875, 3886, 1875, 1876, now I am using 1875, the sound is good enough even using some typical components.

I still want to play other chip AMP, so, would like to discuss which chip amp is good to be build again? is there anyone have some idea on it?

LM1875 is the most classical chip amp in the world , many people have a good memory with it.

Highly recommend LM1875.
-------------------------------------------------------
It is one of my friend's best work
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

LM4780 sounded very good before self destroyed

TDA2030 sounds good too.

LM3866 i have perceived as almost the same sonic you have into LM4780... it seems 2 LM3866 are sharing the same capsule into the LM4780.

I like the most the discrete, because i can change things inside.... not a black box encapsulated...but to bass and voices i feel those chips great!

Carlos

Joined 2004
Paid Member
dynabok said:
I still want to play other chip AMP, so, would like to discuss which chip amp is good to be build again? is there anyone have some idea on it?

I used to be enamored with the National Overture series, but with the cost of heatsinking and transformers going up I now much prefer the AD1994 and the TDA8920 :). The STK428 is on the list to try out.

How about using 4 x LM1875
2 + 2 paralleled in bridge. Has anybody done this?
-------------------------

The problem with LM3875 / LM3886 /LM4780 is the

1. Too high slewrate + high bandwidth
... which makes a noisier sound and not as musical

2. SPiKe protection electronics = garbage in Output Stage.
Which 'cuts' the peaks in music.
Like in a badly processed CD disc
.. with compressed sound & not perfectly dynamic sound waves.
--------------------------

I remember one older article, where was explained why LM1875 is the better.
It has been commented here in www.diyaudio.com forum

Was showing why LM1875 is the better = more musical chip.
Compared to the new and powerful and high speed 3875-3886-4780

My thinking:
Higher speed & higher Open Loop Gain, in those later chips
= MORE Global Negative feedback in signal
= MORE Compensation capacitance in signal
== MORE Bad Sound

Lineup

Seems everyone have their own preference, I am going to show my current 1875.

Attachments

• photo-00197.jpg
    photo-00197.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,513
Tranceformer said:
I did not try the 1875 because I was looking for more power, but I compared the 3886 with the 3875. I used same powersupply, same resistors and caps. The 3875 is now my favorite it has a cleaner more direct sound.

differences:
In my opinion, most of the audio variances between the different model chips can be negated via the power supply or power circuit choices; however, LM1875 and LM3875 alike, are still less powerful than LM3886 by 3 to 4 decibels output. The optimized power circuits, for these to produce high fidelity audio, are all probably quite different. To me, the quote above looks like one of the National Semiconductor chip amps has facilited the use of a favorite power circuit.

oh,,,,,seems everyone like national semiconductor LM series, is there any different from TDA series? how about TDA series, I never tried TDA series before, is it also good? can anyone share their DIY experience on TDA series? I want to build TDA for my next chip AMP.

Besides Class D amplifier chips and Digital Audio amps
SGS-Thomson
has many Class AB Audio Power Amplifier chips.

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/families/audio/audiopowamplifiers/poweramplifiers.htm
Audio Power Amplifiers Families
Bash Product Selector
Class AB <5V Product Selector
Class AB >5V Product Selector
Class D <5V Product Selector
Class D >5V Product Selector
Digital Audio Amplifiers Product Selector
Digital Audio Drivers Product Selector
Microphone Preamplifiers Product Selector

dynabok said:
oh,,,,,seems everyone like national semiconductor LM series, is there any different from TDA series? how about TDA series, I never tried TDA series before, is it also good? can anyone share their DIY experience on TDA series? I want to build TDA for my next chip AMP.

I do enjoy the TDA7294 because its quite powerful and its treble isn't as much challenge as LM3886. Maybe its not right for me to enjoy something because its less of a challenge? Well, the midbass vs power circuit does provide some hours of entertaining puzzle.
A good friend sent me this link: http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/tag/tda2030/ It looks mighty tempting.
And, that reminds me that most of the ST Thompson that I have liked best, were applied bridged or symmetry(ish). One of my first chip amps was TDA2003 bridged and with a 15vdc laptop power supply. That thing is lovely pushing a big 4 ohm aluminum cone driver. ;)

Without further ado, here's my second favorite:

Attachments

• tda7294-mini.jpg
    tda7294-mini.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,315
danielwritesbac said:

I do enjoy the TDA7294 because its quite powerful and its treble isn't as much challenge as LM3886. Maybe its not right for me to enjoy something because its less of a challenge? Well, the midbass vs power circuit does provide some hours of entertaining puzzle.
A good friend sent me this link: http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/tag/tda2030/ It looks mighty tempting.

TDA7293 100 Watt, max +-50 Volt supply, 4ohm
TDA7294 100 Watt, max +-40 Volt supply, 8ohm
TDA7295 080 Watt, max +-40 Volt supply, 8ohm
TDA7296 060 Watt, max +-35 Volt supply, 8ohm

4ohm or 8ohm is the recommended minimum load
But of course you can use 4/8 for any of these,
if you play within the safe limits of the chip ratings

Bit lower power are TDA2052, TDA2050, 60 Watt vs. 32 Watt Hifi.
Max Supply Voltage: +-25 Volt DC.
And for many normal diy applications, these 2 chips are really quite good.
And very easy to use. Of course.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.