Beginner's Gainclone, HiFi LM1875, The Amplifier Board

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You're welcome :) and pleased to hear you have one channel working.

The 220 ohm... only Daniel can explain that one :D

What it does do is interact with the 220pF cap to form a low pass filter although imo the effect of it is minimal with those values. If you turn the pot to a low value resistance, or even to zero ohms, then the 220pF cap effectively appears in parallel to whatever you connect to the input and in certain cases that might cause problems rather than help matters.

I would recommend fitting something like a fixed 1k resistor in place of the preset.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've no idea on sound quality at all I'm afraid as I've never even built a chip amp for serious listening.

The 1k and 220pF form a filter with a -3db point of over 700kHz and so any effect it has will be marginal. Its Daniels choice of how he wanted to do it though.

Now I better understand, why I couldn’t hear any difference no matter the position of the potentiometer :)
My testspeakers are not the best but still.
With your explanation of the function of the cap and resistor I wonder why he put a potentiometer there instead of a fixed resistor.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You would have to ask Daniel that one :)

This shows graphically how the filter shapes the response. Look at the scale at the left. The second example would be more typical of values used in other designs.

One of the main functions of such a filter is to keep out interference.

Attachments

• LPF1.JPG
    LPF1.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 748
  • LPF2.JPG
    LPF2.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 730
Dear Gurus, I would be using 18v-0-18v 3A transformer; I would like to use fuses on the power supply module as well as on the amplifier modules. How much amperage should the fuses be rated at? Should they be the same? Also should I use slow-blo or fast-blo versions?
Thank you.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Common mode relates to a signal effectively appearing in series with both inputs.

For minimum common mode gain (maximum rejection of common mode signals) both inputs need to see the same impedances over the range of frequencies involved. That means the 2.2uF, 470pF and 100uF's would have to go (DC coupled) and the 22k would need to be made equal to the 100k. You would also need a 2k7 in series with the input. The 560 ohm would need to be linked out.

So that just isn't practicable for that configuration.

Common mode relates to a signal effectively appearing in series with both inputs. For minimum common mode gain (maximum rejection of common mode signals) both inputs need to see the same impedances over the range of frequencies involved. That means the 2.2uF, 470pF and 100uF's would have to go (DC coupled) and the 22k would need to be made equal to the 100k. You would also need a 2k7 in series with the input. The 560 ohm would need to be linked out. So that just isn't practicable for that configuration.
I had meant to get close, perhaps just for sport. In this case, I wanted the dividers at + and - to be same voltage proportions. The question is, did I get the input RF filter done right?

Attachments

• LM1875_Turbo-IIIr.gif
    LM1875_Turbo-IIIr.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 269
Last edited: