Chipamp into xformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is just an idea that came up the other day, and I am absolutely unsure weather it could work. Before trying it out, I would appreciate very much your experts opinions and guesses on that matter.

The idea is to let a couple, say 4, chipamps run into an interleaved audiotransformer. Such transformer would have on each side 4 separate sets of windings. Input/Output could be 1:1, or other. Each single amp would fire one set of windings. The described set-up would add up the power of all 4 amps (minus losses), at least that’s what I believe. Additionally, the amps should be able to drive loads of 2 Ohm or even less. If the transformer is properly designed it could also smoothen the sound of the individual amps.

I am successfully using hardwired amps based on LM3875TF, but the performed power is to low for some applications.

If you guys will tell me, that my idea is not completely weird and worth a try – I’ll wind an audiotransformer and check it. However, if you come to the conclusion that it is completely impossible due to any reason, I am happy to know before starting this project.

So, what do you think? Or: did anyone ever try it and has first hand experience?

You're making it too hard. Set up all the chip amps to run in parallel as a single amp BEFORE the transformer. The PA type of design (Check AN-1192). Then add the transformer. As long as the impedance seen by the amps is within 4-8 ohms it will be just fine. You will need each amp to see 4 ohms for maximum power at +/-24V rails. The LM3876 is rated as a 56W amp so you'll only be able to get about 56W from each amp. The only trick is to design so that you get the maximum power form each amp. If you want to drive 2 ohms with 200W then go for supply rails that are +/-35V, tie all 4 amps in parallel and each amp will 'see' an 8 ohm load. This will give you the 200W you want. The transformer will not do anything but add power loss. If you need it for distributed power (70V systems, for example) then it can be used to step up the voltage or drive lower impedance loads by making the load look like a higher impedance but you will still never get more than about 200W from four LM3876. The chip amp can only do what it is designed to do no matter what you try.

Trust the Llama.
-SL

AndrewT said:
one of the biggest design difficulties with valve power amplifiers is the output transformer.
You are potentially making your amp nearly undesignable.

Hi Andrew

You are not entirely correct in this comparison. This output transformer is much easier to design than one for valves.

- driving impedance is almost zero, compared to 3-10k - high primary inductance is unnecessary which makes wide bandwidth much easier without interleaving

- very low DC in the primary, compared to a few volts even in a PP transformer. Toroidal core is possible.

Audio transformers are used to adapt impedances. For optimum coupling you want in and output impedance on the same level. E. g. to drive a 4 Ohm speaker you want a secondary winding with 4 Ohm Ri. And that is also, where most trouble with audio transformers comes from. Speakers never have a flat impedance over frequency, neither do transformers, and you never get a perfect match.

Another reason not to try the transformer is that you need to adapt the primary winding to the IC. Should be at least 4 Ohms for the primary winding there. Do you see, where you waste power?

Not to mention the interaction between the transformers, because they work either way. So the signal from one goes backward through another transformer and acts on the corresponding IC output.

If you need that much power at such low impedance, and you want to stick to GC-style design, your choice might be the LM4702 with some adequate output trannnies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.