Commercial complete Gainclone kit for a beginner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:

So how about this: I will send free of charge LM3875 PCBs to all the guys in this thread with a 'Newbee' challenge and then start a new thread, where step by step, with proper pictures will explain how to build a complete amp, using basic and readily available materials? ;)

You are very generous, this seem like a great idea to me. thanks, I will be looking forward to how this evolves.

gychang

Bluto said:
I simply challenge anyone (lot of people besides you guys peekin in the window!) who considers himself an expert in this section of the forum to just start a thread entitled 'How I built my 1st gainclone - a newbees approach' and document every single step you took, photograph it at each step and explain why with references. As Gychang said - "No schematic - ' red wire to ... ' "! When you're done post the whole thing at once and sit back and field questions. If you have done it properly there won't be many! From that point it ought to turn into nothing but a newbee watering hole. The Author can sit back and daily pat himself on the back. It very simply should not take 100 hours of reading and going from site to site to build a GC.

Bluto,

Yesterday i build a gainclone (audiosector), it pretty darn easy... hard to go wrong if you follow the manual. Why not challenge yourself, buy the kit, build and document it, post your story here and pad yourself on the back? You don't need to be an expert to do that!

cheers,

c

EDIT: hmm a lot can happen in a few minutes :).. missed the post above

It started raining - no work again today.

Culture -

What should have been a simple thread turned into a novel. As for me I don't think this would be any great challenge despite people who CAN'T READ getting that impression. I really have no desire at all to pat myself on the back either.

All that was desired was stated within about 4 posts of what is now over 200. One guy stepped up to the plate ( Dan) and the rest has been a peeing contest.

With Peters new offer I'll be hopefully giving Glory to 2 teams. I'm taking him up on his offer and I'm still going to build Dans Amp when He says it's ready to build and will offer him whatever assistance I can if he asks.

There was never any need for this to be cause of divisiveness or confusion.

I recognize the spirit of your post and appreciate it. I may just document my own build for myself , give it to my Grandkids with a copy of this thread and show them how to build an Amp and still avoid trivial disagreements.

Thanks -

Bluto

Peter Daniel said:
Have you seen this online manual: http://audiosector.com/nigc_kit-users_guide.pdf

If this isn't the "absolute dummy pictorial guide", I don't know what else could be?

Hi Peter!

The amplifier boards can be easily assembled in just a few minutes, however. . .

The only hard part that I see is the dual rectifier power supply board. Specifically, there can be questions between the Audiosector board and a different manufacturer's product--the transformer.

Of course, a beginner could grab the digital camera, and then zoom on over here to diyaudio.com, post the photo along with "is it hooked up right?" question and then the rest is smooth sailing from there.

Attachments

• block bridge 002.jpg
    block bridge 002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 976
Peter -

Your offer is generous and for your sake I hope that all who had been lurking and not willing to get involved in what at times became unpleasant don't all jump up now and request a PCB.

This also gives you the opportunity to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and update your manual. Will you be doing this in such a way that input from newbee builders will go into a new manual if you see such as desirable?

In addition to that it puts to bed at least for your Company my statement wondering out loud if Kit manufacturers preferred to avoid newbee business by not making their materials ' less than absolute dummy' understandable. ;)

I'll still be building Dans design when He's ready and I hope that those who have participated to this point don't see this as a reason to bail out on the efforts he's made. This is also opportunity to put your money where your mouth is when those who stated countlessly that they really weren't against his efforts even if their posts sounded as such.

Thank You Peter.

Bluto

Bluto said:
This also gives you the opportunity to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and update your manual. Will you be doing this in such a way that input from newbee builders will go into a new manual if you see such as desirable?

In addition to that it puts to bed at least for your Company my statement wondering out loud if Kit manufacturers preferred to avoid newbee business by not making their materials ' less than absolute dummy' understandable. ;)

As soon as people receive the boards, I will start a new thread, something like "Commercial complete GC kit - building instructions" with all the info needed to successfully assemble a working amp, and all newbee comments will be welcome.

Bluto said:
Peter -

Your offer is generous and for your sake I hope that all who had been lurking and not willing to get involved in what at times became unpleasant don't all jump up now and request a PCB.

I'll still be building Dans design when He's ready and I hope that those who have participated to this point don't see this as a reason to bail out on the efforts he's made. This is also your opportunity to put your money where your mouth is when you all stated countlessly that you really weren't against his efforts even if your posts sounded as such.

Thank You Peter.

Bluto

If everyone suddenly jumped and requested a new PCB, it would go well, except that the materials are costly, because they are high grade. They're excellent. Please pay for them.

The amplifier manual is already pretty good.
Its the darn transformer manufacturer's manuals that lack.

Peter supports the newbie business better than anyone else so far.

Peter didn't object to my efforts, but rather helped in every way possible. The only objection came as a courteous response to my asking him for a critique. And, I very much appreciate the support.

Peter Daniel said:

This one is good too, although you might not really need the caps.

Even with my boards, the small caps on rectifier board are optional and it's recommended to ***** the sound with and without them.

THANKS MAN!!
Shown is 2 of 4.7uF 50v caps per bridge (just one bridge).
Did I do it up compatible with Audiosector?

I think that its center tap ground connections (all on the bottom) plug in to the CG port on the AudioSector amp boards. Is that right?

danielwritesbac said:
Shown is 2 of 4.7uF 50v caps per bridge (just one bridge).
Did I do it up compatible with Audiosector?

I think that its center tap ground connections (all on the bottom) plug in to the CG port on the AudioSector amp boards. Is that right?

Yes, that's correct.

The caps were originally BG N 4.7/50 and were intended to add "image density flavour" to standard Panasonic FC 1500/50 supplied with a kit.

After the BG stopped production, and to safe on costs, those caps are no longer supplied with the kits, instead, Panasonic FC 10uF caps are there, mostly to "fill" the space.

Depending on the configuration (how close rectifier board is to amp PCB) and overall signature of a system, it may well be that the amp sounds better without those caps, so try it both ways.

I was later installing small BG N caps only on negative rail as it seemed to give better results.

My present configuration, as used in Patek amp, is attached (please note, that I'm not using input series resistor).

Attachments

• gc new.jpg
    gc new.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 869
RE: Post #206

Yes Dan!

Pictures with arrows with numbers correlating to same in instruction manual.

What a concept! Can you imagine? Even an Idiot could understand it. Piece of cake for an absolute dummy.

I am known to use sarcasm when the obvious escapes the more intelligent!

Bluto

Peter Daniel said:
. . . Depending on the configuration (how close rectifier board is to amp PCB) and overall signature of a system, it may well be that the amp sounds better without those caps, so try it both ways.

For that, here's the original "propeller" bridge block implemention from the year 1975, along with its modern alternative. How do you like it?

I think that one could still mount the 4.7uF's at the amplifier board, if desired. The likely connection point is at V+ and V- because of the handy layout. Is that right?

See picture below:
This is easier with the more durable polyester caps, although ceramic is shown.
EDIT: When using this one, CT (center tap ground) goes direct to the AudioSector amplifier board's CG terminal.

Attachments

• block bridge ala 1975.jpg
    block bridge ala 1975.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 749
See picture:

EDIT: On specifications for this, the AC wires may be up to 7" long; however, the DC wires (from bridge to amp) need to be shorter than 4" length, if possible.

And, for "stereo layout," which is 1 transformer for 2 amp chips, then any wire for the right amp needs to be the same length as its partner, the left amp. Aim for symmetry.

Attachments

• block bridge easy connections.jpg
    block bridge easy connections.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 721
'Bluto done it... '

.... said the Frog. You need to be over 50 to get that.

A Friend said I may have said things in this thread that might have p.o.ed some.

I know he's right and I'm guilty of getting p.o.ed myself here on a couple of occasions.

No excuse on my part when I'm the guy who accused others of being thin skinned on forums.

Apologies if I offended anyone. My respect for experts was expressed and remains.

Bluto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.