Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Hacking the Logitech Z5500
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2020, 01:47 PM   #701
Elmojo is offline Elmojo  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree completely with Flerbizky, above.
My Z-5500 set has been installed in my office through 3 computers now. It runs nearly every day, sometimes pretty hard, and other than a blown vreg (or was it a rectifier?) a while back, it's never given me any trouble. I replaced the main front speakers with a pair I built a couple months ago, but that was only because I wanted to, not because anything was broken.
If Logitech made this exact setup today, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I think I paid around $250-ish back in 2007 for mine. Best ROI ever!
Old 27th November 2020, 06:21 AM   #702
Flerbizky is offline Flerbizky  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmojo View Post
I replaced the main front speakers with a pair I built a couple months ago, but that was only because I wanted to, not because anything was broken.
I'm running Micropods as fronts. Super cheap upgrade and matches the rest beautifully.

Am thinking of buying an old Cerwin Vega VE28S (dual 8" sub) with an iffy amp and move the plate from the Logitech to that one. You know, for science ( : (and sh!ts and giggles)
Old 28th November 2020, 02:29 AM   #703
diyAudio Member

Do the micropods sound noticeably better than stock? I had heard once before that they were kinda overpriced and didn't have great sound, but I have no personal experience.
The CV swap sounds like a fun project, but would it actually produce better sound? One thing that's always impressed me about this system is the power of this sub. Of course, anything is justifiable, if it's done in the name of science.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:03 AM   #704
Flerbizky is offline Flerbizky  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmojo View Post
Do the micropods sound noticeably better than stock? I had heard once before that they were kinda overpriced and didn't have great sound, but I have no personal experience.
The CV swap sounds like a fun project, but would it actually produce better sound? One thing that's always impressed me about this system is the power of this sub. Of course, anything is justifiable, if it's done in the name of science.
The MicroPods are in a different league than the stock 5500 satellites. Especially in the top because of the seperate tweeter. No comparison whatsoever (Do an A/B comparison with HD audio and you'll never go back). I bought mine used for 200 DKK (US$30 'ish). But would've been happy with 3 times the amount for the improvement.

I just bought a CV RL-28W sub (basically the same as the VE-28S with a little bit more amplifier) to try instead of the old Audio Pro B2-50 (which is never going anywhere) in the living room as I would like a bit more oomph for movies. And that it can it ways the 5500 can only dream of. And since I can get the VE for around US$ 60, it's worth a try I think. (again - for science of course - and I can always revert the modificatin)
Old 28th November 2020, 04:56 PM   #705
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the used audio market is really solid there!
Sadly, everything in my area is either trash, or way overpriced, or both. :/
  Reply to this post

Hacking the Logitech Z5500Hide this!Advertise here!