Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Hacking the Logitech Z5500
Hacking the Logitech Z5500
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2018, 09:51 AM   #641
Asteban is offline Asteban
diyAudio Member

hi everyone, i'm new on the forum!

i have a z-5500 and i want turn it into a active sub, connected to my yamaha rx-a660.
my pid is 010, i would not buy an adaptater but directly solder an RCA on the back, i've seen someones of you do it, someone can help me? (sorry for the bad english)
Old 31st January 2019, 07:28 AM   #642
avatardiablo is offline avatardiablo
diyAudio Member

Default thanks for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman81 View Post
Here are my pictures
This is the back of the sub, i left room so i can put a Volume control, as i plan to put 2 subs in my home theater setup.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here you can see where i connected the voltage regulator, directly to the pins 10 (in), 7 (out) and 13 (ground)

This is the source of my ground, i was able to get a better solder joint here, i have to remove the glue to attempt to do the same for the Sub Input (pin 2)
I also have a Pre-636 kit .... I followed your guide and everything works! thank you. combined with an av receiver sony dh-790 excellent. the audio is perfect for the Sub.

as regards the automatic switching on and off I have adopted a stratagem.
I brought the rca audio connector and the 5v voltage regulator externally on a solder base.
I added a 5volt relay (Omron monostable relay, 1 A SPDT, 5V dc coil, PCB mount), this triggered it via a USB connector. when active the relay will give power to the sub which will turn on (5v taken from the sub).
The usb that gives energy to the relay to activate, I take it from the av receiver. behind it has a usb port that gives energy only when the receiver is switched on, when it is turned off, the relay is interrupts the 5v of the sub.

Thank you all. regards
Old 31st January 2019, 07:21 PM   #643
Nosyarg is offline Nosyarg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozo View Post
do u mean the resistors on the surround speaker connections

Yes, those were the resistors I was referring to.. but I was able to get their values and replace them.

Now, the control pod is showing all black. The backlight LED is working, but the blocks all show black instead of filling with characters. Would this indicate a dead pod (could I get a replacement pod) or am I looking at a deeper problem within the subwoofer itself?
Old 5th April 2019, 05:02 AM   #644
bluesj is offline bluesj
diyAudio Member

Default How to check the Red led light on control pod?

My z-5500 doesn't make the red led light on when i switch on powerbutton from subwoofer.

I checked pin 15 and pin 13 and got -18 volt on my VOM
and I checked pin 10 and pin 13 and got 15 volt instead of 8 volt.

so I think that the amp and speaker working fine but control pod is culprit.. easpecially I suspect the red led light diode..

But how can i check the red led light?

I uploaded the photo. my method is right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KakaoTalk_20190405_140114937.jpg (159.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg KakaoTalk_20190405_140101089.jpg (183.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 26th May 2019, 06:56 AM   #645
Ennex is offline Ennex
diyAudio Member

Hey all,

I've seen a number of posts on this thread regarding fixes for a range of z5500 problems - hoping that some of you might have an idea about how to go about fixing mine.

I've had a set of these speakers for about 10 years now - one day out of nowhere they stopped working, I would turn them on and the screen would just show black squares and after 10-20 seconds would just shut off. The standby screen has the same problem. Based on what I've been reading this seems to be a subwoofer issue rather than a control unit issue.

I had a look inside, everything seems ok except I did find a few yellow fragments which didn't seem to be circuitry (the back looks like it was attached to the inner wood casing but honestly have no clue). Nothing seemed to be loose but then again some of you might have a better idea of what to look for.

No sound is output. Thought I'd also worth mentioning that I used to get crackling from the speakers every now and again but that had lasted a couple years (not sure if relevant).

Anyone have any ideas? Any help is appreciated - would love a repair rather than replacement Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th June 2019, 02:00 AM   #646
nikotr is offline nikotr
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby117 View Post
R21 = R22 = 36 Ohm, +/-5%

If these resistors are burned also need to replace the stabilizer 79M18A (U9) and 78M18A (U8).
Also, check for damage does not have diodes D15 and D16.

If your set still does not start check the Graetz bridge (D18).

Good luck
Thanks to this post, I have been able to repair my Z-5500 several times. I've been using it for so long I don't even remember when I bought it but there's one problem I just can't figure out.

Sometimes the LCD screen randomly goes very dim, especially if I power the unit down for more than a few hours. The LEDs are OK but the liquid crystal display becomes so dim I can barely read it. The problem usually goes away on its own in a few days. Does anyone have any insight into this problem?

Regards!
Old 12th June 2019, 04:01 AM   #647
basi is offline basi  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotr View Post
Thanks to this post, I have been able to repair my Z-5500 several times. I've been using it for so long I don't even remember when I bought it but there's one problem I just can't figure out.

Sometimes the LCD screen randomly goes very dim, especially if I power the unit down for more than a few hours. The LEDs are OK but the liquid crystal display becomes so dim I can barely read it. The problem usually goes away on its own in a few days. Does anyone have any insight into this problem?

Regards!
Check the power supply on the main board in subwoofer. It should be 8 volts, check capacitors around the regulator.
Old 15th June 2019, 06:07 PM   #648
dim1983 is offline dim1983
diyAudio Member

Hello guys,

I want to buy this ''Logitech Z5500 Smart Pod Converter PID Converter Control Pod adapter ALL PIDs''
. BUT, i do not know if it matches with my subwoofer !!???

Here is the linck : Logitech Z5500 Smart Pod Converter PID Converter Control Pod adapter ALL PIDs | eBay

==This is the PID of my faulty Control Pod: PID 114177-0442R ( I mention that this Control POD is no longer working )
This Control Pod was the original equipment that came with the entire sound system when I bought it.==

This is the PID of my subwoofer : PID 115395 - 0451R and for this subwoofer now i have 2 Control Pods
PID_R108 & PID_R034. None of this Control PODs works with my subwoofer .
I belive there is a mismatch because DOLBY Mouvie & Music and also Direct 6CH does NOT work. It is working only Stereo and Stereo 2x

What is your opinion ???

Plase take note that I tried many Controls Pods to my subwoofer ( differents PIDs ) and none worked. ( they worked only STEREO or STEREO 2X, it did NOT worked DIRECT 6CH, DOLBY MUSIC, DOLBY MOUVIE)

====What is your opinion ??? ===

Thank you !
Old 1st August 2019, 05:44 AM   #649
D4rkThanatoS is offline D4rkThanatoS
diyAudio Member

I need your help, I have a logitech Z5500 PID prior 636 carrying springs.
When I do the sound test with the remote control, all satellites work less than the subwoofer, and check that it is not the pod control and check it on another Logitech Z500 system.
Any ideas that could be wrong or that I should review to repair it.

Thank you.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:22 PM   #650
Alebeard is offline Alebeard
diyAudio Member

Ahoy. I made an account just to post in here. I've had a set of Z5500's for almost 12 years now. They've never once failed me and their sound is *still* excellent.

As of today, the control pod has had its first issue. I was in the middle of doing some gaming and all of a sudden the control pod decided that I was in headphone mode. And it thinks its in headphone mode all the time now, regardless of what's actually plugged in or not plugged in. every once in a while it decides to work for 10 mins or so and all the speakers still sound fine.

If anyone could point me to maybe a fix or maybe diagnose that'd be awesome, as the actual system still works. I haven't opened anything up yet but I've got no problems doing that and taking pics or whatever.

Cheers duders

Hacking the Logitech Z5500Hide this!Advertise here!