Hacking the Logitech Z5500

Here are a photo and a short video.

Photo: Pin 7 to +5v -> Turn on the amp (Same as connecting blue wire to +8v)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/bail_w/IMG_0696.jpg

Video of the beep sound when turn on amp, it sounds louder than in the video (sounds a little different when i hook the db-15 connector to sound card)

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/bail_w/?action=view&current=MVI_0697.flv

** The beep sound is gone once i connect pin 8 to +5v (which is mute on). Though i can't hear anything from the speakers or sub...

Last edited:
Hi,

I know this is a little off topic but im wondering if anyone has extended there Z-5500 control pod using a SVGA cable?

I've read a few stories where a normal 15 PIN cable works perfectly.
Would this work http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002P4MO26/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

I ordered my speakers and the cable today so i'm just hoping it works as i want my subwoofer away from my desk, but i'd like the control panel on my desk.

Your help would be very appreciated as i've literally spent all day trawling the web trying to find a definitive answer.

Andy

Hi,
I also am without a control pod. I have the old rca style z-5500's. Are they any problem long-term effecting the speakers by removing the control pod.

I just want to do this properly. So i need a shielded 15 pin vga cable? As i heard non-shieled emitts a humming sound. This "z5500_rcavers_db15" picture. And i guess 4 1/8 plugs for the other end to use for front, back , center and sub?

Then that leads me to the next question. Will i be able to do the left and right with this in windows on my pc for sound setup? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. As i would like to do this the right way and be done with it.

Or if i missed something or left something out, please tell me or correct me. Thanks for your time.

Please Post a larger image :)

I add a Picture taken by me of my opened POD:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The names of colors are in Spanish; but I put the names of colors under every wire ;).

I put the voltage of every wire; the wires which doesn't have any voltage is because my tester doesn't give me any good result for this one.

I look that the people had connected satellites to an amplifier and then connect subwofer to the amplifier. I don't want that. I don't have any amplifier, only the z5500 system, and my amplifier will be the subwofer.

Thanks to all :).

I am interested in the collor scheame of the cable. I would be very gratefull if you poster image of the diagram :)

I hope you can mannage

I have been reading the posts about the Logitech z5500 speakers. I have a very mint condition "clips" type new in August 2009. The "pod" is gone and I would like to build a set of cables that can be used to connect my speakers to an Ipod. I can not get my system to "activate" I have tried connecting pins 6,7 & 8 to ground as suggested in a previous post. Does anyone have any further advice?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice

Bob

Wire the mute and standby pins of the TDA7294s to a positive supply. You can use the 18v supply from the regulators, don't use the main rails as they're a bit high for this purpose.

Thanks for the input... Late last night i finally figured it out. I smoldered the 3 small control wires (OR, WH, BL) from the input board and connected them to the 8V logic source. It worked..

If you have further suggestions or comments please make them.

best regards,

Bob
K6YN

Hi!

I got the z-5500 spring clip with a broken control pod, so i found this site and used both cables from the pod the one goin into the sub and the cables from pod to computer, but now the problem is that i only get the center to work with some loud annoying sound coming back and dissapearing.

i did as follow

1-9
2-4
3-5
6-7-8 to 13
but instead of using an receiver im using the computers 5.1 soundcard with realtek audio, what is the problem in this installation?

//Mvh Wolfking