MY_REF EVOLUTION by MAURO PENASA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am extermly intersting about this project since I am sure the full version with 2 x LM3886TF/ch could have far better control with speakers especially those with 4 ohms.

I have tried email Mr. Penasa asking for any offer of the bare PCB, but before any reply from him, since most information about his "EVOLUTION" is in Italian (although I did spent a year in Florence but that was 10 years ago, I can't cheat myself I am still knowing Italian well.....:ashamed: ), I would like to ask if anyone have ever build one (self made PCB or any modifications done from the pre-assembled PCB) and could have some share?

I believe the Evolution is sold as assembled PCBs, i.e. semi kits...
And cost are probably from about $120 upwards...but, money became worth very little in a short time lately...

Mauro does visit here allthough he doesn't post anymore... some Aholes made his life misrable by being, ....well, aholes.

My my_myref c is still my fallback amp... sure it can be beaten in sonics by a solidstate amp, but Mauro's amps are dead quiet and stable once they are set up, and small diffirences between it and "better" amps soon forgotten... I can, if I want to, turn the volume up all the way, and hear no audiable distorion.

I wish I was in a position to get the Evolution, I'm sure it is even miles better.

Built two

The circuit board is almost complete as sold. The rectifiers, large caps, relays, and couple other big items are all that has to be added.
The parts provided are all surface mount, and build quality is very good. There are many changes in the circuit from the My_Ref. But it is still a LM318 input stage and LM3886 current buffer.
Try emailing Mauro in English. His english may be better than your Italian.
I have implimented a couple small changes in both built so far. All are power suppply related. The results pleased me.
And you are correct, the "full" version with paralleled LM3886 works great with more demanding speakers. There is an active servo, pair of filter caps, and rectifier bridge for each chip. The damping factor is double the single chip version also.
A word of caution though. Several design choices were made by Mauro. I recommend building as designed. Then experiment. Some items like the small input coupling caps and no large caps after the input stage regulators are not an oversight.
I think he still has circuit boards, but seems to be busy doing things that pay the bills. He designed a fairly complex linestage also. Someone sent a schematic from Italy. Like these amps, at first sight there seemed to be too many parts, and loops. But I sure that they are all there for good reasons.

George

No, because then I would have to tell the that instead of looking for the discrete section of the site, they should look for solidstate.....

I am not argueing about what you said, it is 100% factual.
And I even use the word discrete sometimes to diffirentiate between stuff useing chips or not... like discrete buffer.

But in terms of this site, and newcommers, I still think when we talk about SS amps we are talking transistors.

P.S. I say all of this from a neutral state, no offense meant. Just being devil's advocate.....

Goldkenn,

i do not know how actual your request is at the momnt, but i give it a try to mail Mauro for availebility and prices and got the next answer:

Hi Wim,

Cost options (of evolution base amp) ad other question:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this are the costs and pay method (no commercial situation) of the new Boards :

The method of payment that is the "banking international credit transfer", with Euro currency and without banking direct expenses to my load, or the international postal money order (like this: http://www.westernunion.com/info/selectCountry.asp ).

Cost of : 1 PCB board, (SMD pre-solder + 2 custom headsinks)= 130 Euro
Cost of : 1 Kit Evolution "base" (PCBcomplete + "base" BOM)= 220 Euro
(The kit is comprensive of all electronic parts of building a "base" version)
Cost of : 1 Evolution "base" mounted and tested (PCBcomplete + "base" BOM)= 300 Euro

Shipping cost:15 euro Italy, 18-30euro (various) other States .

Unfortunately usually the times of delivery are able be of some week in some States (extra UE)....

The kits include:
PCB board, (SMD pre-solder + 2 custom headsinks) and all part of list: "Distinta materiali versione base" on my web site.

Not include (in all options):
Trafo (300VA 115-230V/25+25Vac)
Case (Headsink alluminium case 230*80*280mm)
Connectors and cable

Tech Info and various elements: Mauro Penasa Home Page / Audio Project section....

http://translate.google.com/transla...fe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

ciao

Mauro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.