Power Supply problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having a problem with a standard dual full bridge rectified power supply(+32,-32). I am getting the ~32V (24VAC input) out of each filtered output from the power supply, but the potential between the two "grounds" of the power supply output has ~25V or so of ac across them? I don't understand how this is happening. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start looking? I have changed all of the diodes and checked all solder connections.
Thanks,
Donovan

I understand that you have two *isolated* 24Vac secondaries, running into completely seperate full wave bridges and filter caps, right?

You should check the isolation between the secondary windings with an ohmmeter (power off, of course), should read MegOhms. If isolation is given, then you can combine one of the (+) and one of the (-) to get your common ground. The voltage you measured supposedly comes from capacitive coupling between the secondaries which are often bifilar wound. You also can check the cross current instead of the voltage, should definitely not be above a few mA. Preferred style of measuring would be the voltage across a, say, 100 ohms 10 watts resistor. If it runs hot you're in trouble...

Usual Disclaimer:
Please use proper fuses and the "lightbulb trick", and most preferably a ground fault interruptor when checking xformer issues live.

- Klaus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.