LME49720 Vs LM4562....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ryssen,
Having had a quick look the data sheet of the LM4562 August 2006 and of the LM49860 June 2007, the differences I detected were at the end of the documents : no mention of "banned substance compliance compliance" at the end of the LME49860 datasheet.
The datasheet of the LM49720, May 2007, seems identical on all specs.
Why some many references for apparently similar products ?

National uses an additional 'E' in the name (LMExxxxx) to indicate their new high performance audio products. Perhaps the LM4562 came out before the change so they made a new part number to indicate high end part. There is a whole family of LME parts of op. amps and drivers yet only the LM4562 and LM4702 that are not part of these families. These were the first two parts out that could be called high end.

Go figure.

-SL

By a person who knows a person at National in Sweden,I got to know that it is the same chip.
By the same reason you mention(marketing strategi)they have changed the name.
So then there are 3 opams that are the same now,but with diffrent names.Lm4562,LME49720 and LME79860...

Digikey apparently knows that the LM4562 and the LME49720 are the same part. They don't stock both. They have the LME49710 and 40, but they have the dual listed only as the LM4562.

A distributor that calls on me at work has a theory about why it is dual numbered. As an earlier note said, National had re-numbered their audio line to LME so it needed a place in that listing. But after the LM4562 won all sorts of awards (EDN product of the year, etc.) National had to leave the old number in the catalog because lots of people already knew it by LM4562. In fact, National has a significant promotional campaign tied to the old number.

What sort of surprises me is that there are two complete sets of documentation for the thing, as if it were two parts. I wonder why they don't cross reference them in the documentation.:xeye:

Everyone says the chips are the same. I swapped between the two in a dip socket before I knew they were the same part, and they didn't sound completely identical. There was also another person on a different forum that said they sounded different as well. The 49720 just sounded a bit warmer. Maybe it's a sample variation or the 49720 needed breaking in. I'll just leave it at that. I didn't look into it any further.

SpittinLLama said:
National uses an additional 'E' in the name (LMExxxxx) to indicate their new high performance audio products. Perhaps the LM4562 came out before the change so they made a new part number to indicate high end part. There is a whole family of LME parts of op. amps and drivers yet only the LM4562 and LM4702 that are not part of these families. These were the first two parts out that could be called high end.

Go figure.

-SL

"E" stands for enhanced according to a National person. "P" for precision. I can confirm what spottande Laman says. It's marketing and yes, the same chip. This is not the first time. Compare TPA6120a and THS6012. Analog Devices has also identical chips.

I try in the same conditions LME49860 and LM4562. The sound is very different between them.LM4562 is more punch, dynamic sound and it could oscilate very easy, you must be carrefully with it, LME49860 it has a more warmer sound, sweety treble, but the midrange just a little in the back of stage and the bass is more soft, not too good. At first session LME49860 it is a more atractive , but after I compensated the LM4562 that has a excellent sound, much more dinamyc. It is a difference between them on suply rail ?sound like LME49860 have a series resistance on the suply rails.... maybe from here is the difference from 17V to 22V

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
dweekie said:
Everyone says the chips are the same. I swapped between the two in a dip socket before I knew they were the same part, and they didn't sound completely identical. There was also another person on a different forum that said they sounded different as well. The 49720 just sounded a bit warmer. Maybe it's a sample variation or the 49720 needed breaking in. I'll just leave it at that. I didn't look into it any further.

Well, this isn't a fair comparison between the two chips, as there is a very good reason I'm hearing a minor difference between the two, with the LME49720 being slightly better.

The small batch of LME49720 chips I bought are in the metal can (TO-99). I'm sure the extra mass and shielding are the main factors, but maybe someday I'll get a hold of some LM4562 in the TO-99 case to compare apples-to-apples.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either chip.

BT

Names

Go figure.

-SL

I was the Product Manager for the LM4702 and LM4562. The audio department changed the naming convention after the LM4562 and LM4702. Two other versions of the LM4562 were spun: the single and quad. It was a long time ago, but I think they are all different dies.

These two opamps not only sound completely different, but the 4562 is MUCH more sensitive to grounding. You can run an LME49720 just about anywhere, while a 4562 in the same socket will sound like crap (and probably oscillate). In a proper circuit the 4562 will SING - it has way more punch and dynamics then the 49720.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.