what capacitor type is best used on Carlosfm's non-inverting chipamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
metallised film caps could be used in all locations.
Polypropylene(PP) or Polyester(PES) would do.
You may find that low K ceramic will work, but you really must experiment if you try ceramic. Ceramic are generally smaller and cheaper. PP are generally bigger and dearer.

Some builders will suggest better quality caps for the decoupling around the chipamp. This applies to both the electrolytic and the bypasses. But again carefull experimentation and measurement should be carried out to ensure that ripple and oscillation on the supply rails is avoided.

Hi, polystyrene are usually rolled foil and these are definitely inductive.
Most makers of PP claim they make PP in a non-inductive form.

The obsolete stacked film polycarbonate were excellent in this respect, but nothing seems to be available to match the performance/cost ratio of these. The cheaper PP are getting close but tend to take up more space.

jarthel said:
I have been searching and it seems polypro are inductive which is bad when use as a bypass caps (which I believe C3 and C4 are)?

Wima's site has excellent technical information on this aspect. Cole's Notes edition IIRC: the inductance of a modern film cap is almost entirely determined by it's lead-to-lead dimension and is on the order of an equivalent length piece of wire. In other words at the limits of physics in a three-dimensional world.

rdf said:

Wima's site has excellent technical information on this aspect. Cole's Notes edition IIRC: the inductance of a modern film cap is almost entirely determined by it's lead-to-lead dimension and is on the order of an equivalent length piece of wire. In other words at the limits of physics in a three-dimensional world.

thank you. I was looking at the datasheet and cannot find such info.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.