OPA2544 why not?, lets try!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, every one I love the simplicity and quality of chipamps, I got some free samples from TI of the OPA2544 it's a pretty nice chip +-35V 2.5A output x2 so nice to build a powerful home I've build a nice board but not yet tested it if someone is interested please contact my, cause I don't know how much power I'can get from It at least 30W I think. If someone knows lets talk.

Attachments

• opa2544.jpg
    opa2544.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 854
So far I've built one two channel board and tested how it sounded, an compared to my LM3886 4 ch amp I couldn't notice any big sounding diference, but in temperature oh my god!!.Cause of the MOSFET output of the OPA2544 they didn't even got as hot as the LM3886, and they sounded quite loud. without distortion.
I'll send you an osciloscope picture as soon as I measure the power I can get from them that's what I don't know, I measured my LM3886 and they threw 72Wrms with +-38V quite amazing and the signal wasn't distorted yet!! now is the turn of the OPA2544 I'll tell you soon how much power this litlle one can handle but for now listening to music they sound really good couldn't make them distort before my speakers die. Did you thought a 12$US IC would sound bad , plus I'll ask you this: would texas instruments recommend to use their IC's in an audio amplifier if they weren't suitable for?
Saludos
Malco

this chip has an unpleasant calm crackle, look like spilling of sand, which much mark on low and average level, particularly on solo composition (the grand piano, violin, vocal).
This particularity most chip and dispose of it is impossible. Same pertains and to OPA544. :(

sorry for my bad english

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Although technically you could use the 2544 for audio, it is not very well suited.

The distortion is quite high, and increases at low powers and higher frequencies, so this is an indication of high cross-over distortion. And note the datasheet curves are given for 15 ohms load, so at 8 or 4 ohms you really don't want to look.

At a max output current of 2A that gives 1.4A RMS which in 8 ohms is just below 16W per channel.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Daim blond said:
so 2xOPA549 is more simply and better than 4xOPA2544
price identical

As far as output current is concerned a single 549 will outperform 4 * 2544, and drive 4 ohms. You can see that yourself if you take a look at the data sheet - that's what we all do.

Still, the distortion data for the 549 is quite similar to the 2544. Let's face it: these amps are easy to use but not high quality for linear audio use.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

Still, the distortion data for the 549 is quite similar to the 2544. Let's face it: these amps are easy to use but not high quality for linear audio use.

Jan Didden

OPA549 very well for audio, particularly with preamplifier on LT1356 , it sound better than many special audio chips . look there .
OPA548 good too , only output power below.
OPA544/2544 - bad absolutely, because crackle in sound are present (not harmonic or cross-over distortion, probably scheme construction of the chip there is reason)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Daim blond said:

OPA549 very well for audio, particularly with preamplifier on LT1356 , it sound better than many special audio chips . look there .
OPA548 good too , only output power below.
OPA544/2544 - bad absolutely, because crackle in sound are present (not harmonic or cross-over distortion, probably scheme construction of the chip there is reason)

Well, sure, if someone tells you it sounds great, and you believe it does, built it and enjoy it.

I would prefer something more linear though. I know that numbers are not everything, but all else (wiring, power supply, cap quality etc) being equal, distortion going towards 1% with higher frequency certainly doesn't sound great.

Jan Didden

We talk about chip-amp. And I dont know chips, which provide more linear result. LM? STK? TDA? or PA (Apex)?! :clown:
About yooree's site - i have 3 amplifier from (OPA549+LT1356, LT1210+MC33079, LM4780(2x3886)+EL2125) and very satisfied. I do not know, what chips "sounds" better these.
More linear result can be reached on discrete element only. IMHO.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, obviously you have your mind made up. That's OK.

I wouldn't start the task of building and listening to 20+ chip amps. I would select the most promising on the available data.

But, if you have already decided, that obviously saves you a lot of time.

BTW, it's 1% versus 0.05%.

Good luck with your project,

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.