Quick Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can take the cover off and start by touching the pins one by one to
hear whether a channels starts to produce hum (the unit has to be connected and 'on' offcourse...

A hum in the left channel and there's your left input, a hum in the right channel and there's your right input. Groung can be found everywhere...

You're welcome,

some more hints:

Don't short any pins!

Use for instance a sharp nail or watchmakers screwdriver (sharp fully conductive metal object).

If you don't hear anything try to DO or DO NOT touch ground with your other hand, or turn the volume slightly up...

The rest is wires and soldering...:cool:

I've got another question

OK, My mp3 player doesn't have a plug for charging or anything, It only takes batteries. My question is, is there a way where I can hook up my cd player to the battery in my car. It takes one AAA battery and thats 1.5V.... I was thinking of something that gives out 1.5V and maybe solder a positive wire to the + side of the mp3 player(where the battery + side goes) and a ground wire on the opposite side?? how can i do this or do i have an alternative?? I would like it to be possible that the mp3 player is still portable, meaning i can slap a battery and take it to the gym or w/e, but when i get in the car i can use the power from the car...

This might be a dumb question, and im a n00b so i dont know how to do this...

PS.. that only cost me a whole total of 4 bux VIA walmart hahah

I think LM series regulators can help you, I'll look one up..like LM78015 if it exists...normally the last two digits mean the output voltage, for instance LM7805 produces 5V, LM7812 produces 12V....There are many types, also variable, but that takes more external components....

I don't know if there's any converter for sale somewhere...
I always design my own from 12V sofar...

I'll see what I can find..

And can make a simple schematic for you (one component with only three legs, another (couple) of buffercapacitors and perhaps a filter and you're ready to go....)

Here's a datasheet of another LM....regulator, max. voltage differential is about 30V! http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM1086.pdf

And at $0.78, the total price for the converter can stay below $10.00!

It's the LM1086 and the external components are only two capacitors, two resistors, just look at the 'application circuit' in the datasheet..(one adjustable potmeter to adjust the voltage between 1.2 to 15V, but I would recommend a normal resistor in the right value. Otherwise you might put it on too high voltage! :hot:

Just use several values to measure the voltage with a (cheap..) multimeter....

The rest is adding a small slab of metal to the regulator with some heatsink paste (carefull mostly very poisonous stuff!) and add a small box (or use a metal box to ground and bolt the regulator to the case...this might help against interference (hum) from your motor...)

When it still hums let me know, you can add ferrite beads and perhaps a toroid somehwere on the in-out wires to prevent this...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.