Amp Protection Mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I keep having a problem with my amp. When i turn on the car/system it will play on VERY low power no even enough to hear it. The amp is a sony 200*2 rms and the sub a 200 rms orion sub. I have checked the ground the wiring everything. The only thing i can think of is that my battery is a side mounted battery and the stock rubber cable for the car is hitting the power cable. Would this make it so i dont get enough power to it so i goes in to protection mode. This is the second amp ive tried.:smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Spencer,
I moved your thread into the car audio forum. It seems like a better place for it.

Make sure your battery is securely mounted!!!!!!!! It's a fire hazard if it isn't. Once you've made that safe, proceed.

Connect a voltmeter across the power ground and positive for your amp. Measure the voltage as you turn the volume up. Make sure your ground wires are as heavy as your battery feed to the amp. If you are connected to the body, be sure to use a star washer and scrape the coating away where you connect. Reseal the area once the connection is done. Also make sure the body to negative battery terminal wire is heavy enough. Most factory installed cables are not. Have an expert do this.

-Chris

Re: help

sseabrook07 said:
I keep having a problem with my amp. When i turn on the car/system it will play on VERY low power no even enough to hear it. The amp is a sony 200*2 rms and the sub a 200 rms orion sub. I have checked the ground the wiring everything. The only thing i can think of is that my battery is a side mounted battery and the stock rubber cable for the car is hitting the power cable. Would this make it so i dont get enough power to it so i goes in to protection mode. This is the second amp ive tried.:smash:

Yeah, as anatech said, check your ground. Where are you grounding to? Sometimes the chassis is not the best place to ground in the car and a poor ground will result with the amplifier grounding from the head unit. This will end up frying the input circuitry to the amplifier and can damage the head unit.

motormouth said:
i have a problem with my amp. every time i go to put the fuse in the in-line fuse holder of the power line to my amp. the two 15 A. fuse blow i just wondering what i am doing wrong
write back

thanks

You should have started a new thread as your problem is different. Most likely the power supply is shorted in your amp. You can open it up and measure the switchers, from the middle pin to the outer pins, if they are short then replace them. Also measure the outputs to be sure that they did not cause the power supply to short.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.