Can free air work in this case?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Pontiac GrandPrix GTP (2001), I now am the proud owner of two Kicker sx1250.1's and two ID MAX V.3 DVC 2's. I was searching the net for enclosure ideas, I have a pretty big trunk for a later model car. I found a guy who has the same subs but they are mounted to his back deck, how well could this work? Can this perform just as good as a sealed or ported enclosure? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I love pictures too, lol. Polo..

PS- Sorry, here is the pic....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

?

While I do not question the ideas above for use in hi fi car audio situations, I do think that we are mislabeling them.

The way I understand it, is that free air denotes a speaker literally in free air. For example, a speaker in a back deck lid that is not sealed. This leads us to Infinite baffle, which is what I think has been described above. If the back deck is sealed around the driver, then the trunk acts like a large sealed enclosure (as mentioned). Although the trunk volume should be about 10 times Vas or greater,I think some trunks may very well be.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could check this over.

Otherwise great work, I'm jealous of the SX amps.

WOW, a fellow Chicagoan, lol. That picture isn't my car but someone elses. I ordered 2 RE sx15" DVC 2+2's. I have decided to build a baffle behind my rear seat and make the rear seat back able to fold flat. I have a rather large trunk, about a 4 body one. I hope to have everything mounted soon and those SX amps are GREAT! Polo..:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.