Amp protection light on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have TWO Audiobahn amps. A8000T mono amp and an A6004T 4 channel and BOTH amps have the protect light on. I drove around last night for like 2 hrs without turnin it off n most of the time it wasnt even turned up but this mornin when i turned my truck on the protect lights r on. I havnt really messed with anything yet as i'm so sick of messin with my stereo **** its gettin outrageous. EVERYTHING is hooked up right im POSITIVE i've rewired everything 3 times before. I find it odd that they BOTH did it at the same time and they WONT come back on? One of my tweeters was crackin a lil last night, could that have caused it? And if so y didnt JUST the 4 channel go out? :mad:

If your tweeter was crackling, it may have been clipping. Clipping is a good way to kill a tweeter and you have to turn it down or risk damage. Damage like a partial short in the voice coil, causing low impedance. Do the speakers measure what they should (probably 4-ish ohms) ?

Another good question, do the crossover components (if they are passive crossovers) have sufficient voltage (power) ratings for the amplifiers?

Do the amplifiers go into protection if you unplug the RCA inputs?

If so, you need to check the shield ground of the head unit's RCA outputs. There should be essentially no resistance between the RCA shield and the case of the head unit. If the shield is open (high resistance between shield and HU case), there could be a problem with one of the amplifiers.

I've seen many cases of the primary of the power supply transformer shorting to the secondary of the transformer. In many amplifiers this causes voltage to be passed to the shield ground. This will damage the head unit and sometimes other amplifiers. With the amplifiers on and no RCAs plugged into the inputs, there should be little or no voltage on the RCA input shield. If you read something near 12v, there is a problem with the amp. Sometimes, the problem is intermittant and may be difficult to find. This can also cause the noise that you mentioned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.