6.5" behind 4x10 grille

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I'm putting 6.5" component separates in a 73 Impala. The car was originally equipped with an AM radio, so the only speaker location was for a 5x8" in the middle of the dash. Some were equipped with a stereo and they got two 3" speakers at the corners of the dash. I don't really want 3" speakers, not to mention finding a brown dashboard in good shape with those outboard locations is nearly impossible.

So, I started hacking on the doors :) I pulled the panels off and found a hole that I enlarged to hold the 6.5" mid. The problem is, the way the door trim panel is constructed, the only grille size I can fit in the door is 4x10". I know I'll be missing some sound doing it this way, but how much? I know the bass will still get through, but at what Hz will I start cutting out sound this way? I'm not as worried about imaging with the separate tweeters, but do you have any thoughts? Viable option? I could go with a larger grille, but it would require a complete customization of the door panel for reasons that are hard to explain. I'll post a picture and you can maybe get an idea. Take a look at the far door panel and you'll see the bottom panel is separated from the next panel up by a large and contoured rib. Its just not a level of customization I care to do on this car, but take a look and see what you think. Sorry, its a biggun. :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.